[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A summer research program I'm applying for requires that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 7

File: 1479523530947.jpg (49KB, 611x499px) Image search: [Google]
1479523530947.jpg
49KB, 611x499px
A summer research program I'm applying for requires that I include a statement of academic interest and career goals. One of my advisors is saying I should write a page or two, while my other advisor and head of the lab I work in is saying one or two paragraphs, max. What should I do, /sci/?
>>
>>8588925
That means length isn't important. Forget about length and write a draft. Look at it and think if it feels redundant or not. If it feels long winded, condense it. If not, it's fine.
>>
>>8588925

Don't write too much bullshit.
>>
>>8588925
Your opinion on resonance structures is wrong, as it gives the impression the mean structure has averaged out electrons. The first structure actually represents the mean electron distribution.

>implying average electron density gives any useful information about you chemical properties
>inb4 counter argument, please give the main product of the addition of a nitro group on chlorobenzene. This cant be done with your retarded structure.
>>
File: KEKule a shill.png (9KB, 806x344px) Image search: [Google]
KEKule a shill.png
9KB, 806x344px
>>8589000
:-)
>>
>>8588925
Wow fuck do you draw enolates with a three atom long dashed line too you massive faggot
>>
>>8588925
They don't care how long it is as long as you clearly state why you're interested and what you hope to achieve.
>>
>>8589000
your retard you know...benzene is aromatic and octet rule so its like a noble gas. it wont react
>>
File: brainlet_trigger.gif (6KB, 631x295px) Image search: [Google]
brainlet_trigger.gif
6KB, 631x295px
>>8589332
Nice mechanism retard
>what are transition states
>what are resonance structures
>what is electron transfer
>DEEEEEEERP, PLEASE ACCEPT ME HARVARD

>>8589637
Confirmed retardED theoretical physics dude
>lmao general orbital rules my dude

God why is /sci/ filled with brainlets
>>
File: laughing geode.jpg (79KB, 500x461px) Image search: [Google]
laughing geode.jpg
79KB, 500x461px
>>8589000
This faggot thinks electrons are localized hahaha. Check this brainlet out!
>>
File: 1480465499388.jpg (65KB, 411x412px) Image search: [Google]
1480465499388.jpg
65KB, 411x412px
>>8589637
>octet rule
>>
>>8589693
>electron pushing nonsense
Do you fuck your mother with that dick?
>>
>>8589693
You bash the shitposter for all the right reasons, however, I think ring notation still has it's uses. Of course you can't use it to describe the mechanisms, but it's closer to what we observe when we talk about aromatic systems - they bestow properties different from, for example, conjugated dienes.

So if you could just swap double bonds on the halogenbenzene on the left with ring, whole scheme on your pic will be, in my eyes, perfect.

If I'm wrong somewhere, feel free to correct me.
>>
>>8589793
>pic related is literally your argument

>>8589920
getting mad because an actual useful model makes your QF-PLSFVCKMEINTHEASS -T irrelevant

>>8590049
just because the resonance structure is governed by quantum mechanics doesn't mean you shouldn't just draw the most common structure.
In benzene both dominant conformers are just as common, but also have the same properties so you should just draw one.

The resonance structures of cyclohexane even have fucking different properties, but you don't see anybody drawing each atom's position with a retarded circle.
People use the retarded benzene description because
>muh delocalization
while it isn't effectively different from thermodynamic resonance structures in a large number of particles.
>>
>>8589693
He was portraying a solution that contained two different constitutional isomers, not showing a mechanism.
>>
>>8590200
>benzene
>conformer
It's another episode of high school brainlet embarasses himself on 4chan.
>>
>>8590209
And you cant get to the solution with the structuren in the OP

>>8590251
>He doesn't know conformer is shorthand for resonance structure
Point at him and laugh everybody
>>
>>8590200
AFAIK, two conformers of benzene both are literally same thing in practice, because of aromatization - ring notation is used to highlight this fact and what it brings to the table(very unusual chemical properties when you compare aromatic structures to your average alkene or diene of whatever). And of course ring notation fucks off when aromatization is disrupted.

So, based on difference in chemical behaviour alone I have to disagree with you, sorry. For example. uninitiated reader after looking at benzene with double-bond notation might think "Benzene will change the color of bromine water! xD" which is actually not the case.
>>
File: C1rhcq2XgAUVZv0.jpg (135KB, 1112x1200px) Image search: [Google]
C1rhcq2XgAUVZv0.jpg
135KB, 1112x1200px
>>8590265
>conformer is shorthand for resonance structure
Stop baiting
>>
>>8590435
Ok you got me
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.