[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Numberphile said that the sum of all natural numbers, which allegedly

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: numberpedo.png (2MB, 1875x1049px)
numberpedo.png
2MB, 1875x1049px
Numberphile said that the sum of all natural numbers, which allegedly equals -1/12, is used in many various areas of phyiscs. Can someone explain where and how?
>>
>>8586024
There are THREE (3) threads about it
>>
>>8586024
Why don't you pick up a copy of Polchinski and find out?
>>
>>8586024
I only know that it is used in String theory. What are the other areas? I wanna know and see things actually works out when this comes into play.

I think that this whole manipulation of different series is a nice way to avoid dealing with infinity.
>>
>>8586024
Lazy boi.
Check the sources if you want something deeper than that:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1_%2B_2_%2B_3_%2B_4_%2B_%E2%8B%AF#Physics
>>
>>8586024
If you look at their "proof", they make a very risky assumption with their first series. They take the average of an inifite series and claim that it must be equal to 1/2 but not that it IS equal to 1/2.

The foundation of the proof is shaky so the derivations from that foundations should be taken with a grain of salt.
>>
just look at all millennium problems;D Try to solve Riemann and bring a new era to cryptology
>>
I really consider filtering "-1/12"
>>
>>8586115
who cares
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.