[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this true? I watched the Numberphile video but it still baffles

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: how.png (4KB, 748x140px) Image search: [Google]
how.png
4KB, 748x140px
Is this true? I watched the Numberphile video but it still baffles me. Could an anon explain?
>>
First, this is literally the most obnoxious maths mene and notation abuse ever devised by humanity.
Second, Numberphile's "proof" mistreats divergent series and basically isn't a proof at all.
You should check out Riemann's functional equation and how it's used to construct Riemann's zeta analytical continuation.
>>
>>8585770
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD0NjbwqlYw

The video is long, but very well made and explain all.
To sum up :
In the domain of real, 1 + 2 + 3 + ... does not equal -1/12. The main argument used by numberphile (that 1 - 1 + 1 - ... = 1/2) is false, because you can just arbitrarily change the order of the terms of a sum that does not converge.

However, the function defined by [math]f(s) = 1 + 1/(2^s) + 1/(3^s) + ... [/math], more known as the Zeta function, can be artificially prolonged outside of where it exists.

When you uses this prolongation at the point (-1), then you have [math]f(-1) = -1/12[/math]

That does not mean : [math] 1 + 2 + ... = -1/12[/math] ; the sum [math] 1 + 2 + ... [/math] does not exist, mathematically speaking. It is infinite. However, we can artificially extends f in a way that f(-1) = -1/12.
>>
>>8585801
>notation abuse
Classical analysis shouldn't have the monopoly on those symbols

It's notation out of the context of more relevant math, but there's no abuse. If I use [math] \omega [/math] to denote both a rotation vector and it's magnitude, then that's abuse of notion. An equation from some context that also has an interpretation in a more common context isn't abuse..
>>
>>8585837
I'd argue the + sign should be used with decimals in traditional sense only, but k lad
>>
File: string.theory2.jpg (50KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
string.theory2.jpg
50KB, 400x400px
Does anyone know when or why it is physically acceptable to use an analytic continuation. To the naive it might appear like a logical fallacy that an extension of a domain would have a physical meaning.
>>
>>8585909
Because it's unique.
>>
>>8585821
Transitivity may not hold, but associativity
>>
>>8585770
The number is so big that it rolls over past infinity and down through the negatives.
>>
>>8585909
b/c it aligns with experiment
>>
Here's your explanation, OP.
Let [math]N \,\in\, \mathbf N[/math].
[eqn]\sum_{n \,=\, 0}^N n \,=\, \frac{N \,\left(N \,+\, 1\right)}{2} \,\xrightarrow[N \,\rightarrow\, \infty]{}\, \infty[/eqn]
Therefore [math]\sum_{n \,=\, 0}^\infty n \,=\, \infty[/math].
>>
It's easy to confuse yourself with this shit but it's quite simple.

All that the ramanujan summation stuff, cutoff and zeta regularization does, is look at the smoothed curve at x = 0.
What sums usually do is look at the value as x->inf.

It's just a unique value you can assign to a sum, really they have many such values.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sum1234Summary.svg
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.