[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm currently doing a take-home assignment for my Physics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: Image[1].png (24KB, 250x210px) Image search: [Google]
Image[1].png
24KB, 250x210px
I'm currently doing a take-home assignment for my Physics course and I cannot for the life of me get these two problems.

If you guys could help, that would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>8583176
Nice thumbnail dumbass
>>
File: physics help.png (141KB, 679x573px) Image search: [Google]
physics help.png
141KB, 679x573px
>>8583178
Sorry, here is the full-size photo
>>
>>8583182
D
C
>>
>>8583190
Anyway you can explain this to a physics noob?
>>
EA
>>
>>8583182

Electric field only exists within a parallel plate capaciator and due to superposition, it cancels outside of the two plates. Do some weird algebra I and keep adding fields in different positions. As a result, the electric field is E. and since the electric field is the negative gradient of the potential, the next graph is essentially the "negative integral" so if I had to guess, it'd be B.

And B makes sense. you have a positive uniform charge at x = -a, a place of higher electric potential and by convention if a positively charged particle goes down it's electric potential then it should arrive at a lower potential at -a at which is it is then constant.

Also, I never took a physics course in my life, this is just from griffitih's introduction to electrodynamics book so take it with a grain of salt but I'm 99% sure I'm right.
>>
>>8583242
Thank you for your help!!!!
>>
>>8583289

: D Np
>>
>>8583182
The electric field for an infinite plate of charge is sigma / 2 epsilon, it does not depend on the distance to the plate. Outside the two plates, there is no field because the charges cancel. Inside the plates, the fields combine. So 48 is E.

For 49, I think the answer is D, although I am not 100% sure. At a point infinitely far away from the plates, the plates' charges should cancel and there is 0 potential (I think). The potential increases as you get closer, and should decrease once you get between the plates.

Source: Took AP Physics last year
>>
>>8583236
This.
>>
>>8583176
The key aspect of an infinitely charged sheet is that any effects caused by it are independent of how far away you are from it. The intuition of why this must be the case is so. Let's say you were looking at an infinite plane colored red. Does what you see change if you walk closer or further away? No. Thus since nothing changes from your perspective, the effects must remain the same. The electric field generated by each plane is constant.

Now you can answer the questions fairly easily. The electric fields cancel in the left and right regions since each plane produces opposite fields. In the center they amplify creating a stronger constant field pointing to the right. This gives graph E. The potential is defined as E=-dV/dx. So the potential must be a straight line with negative slope, which gives graph A.
>>
>>8583182
E
B
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.