[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I know if maths is for me? How did you know? I am not

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: thefuturewechoose.jpg (26KB, 640x384px) Image search: [Google]
thefuturewechoose.jpg
26KB, 640x384px
How do I know if maths is for me? How did you know? I am not entirely sure if math is what I want to pursue, although I can't think of anything better.

Also how do I know if I have what it takes to get a masters or not?
>>
>>8582959
are you high on the spectrum?
yes? math it is
no? stick to engineering
>>
>>8582967
>are you high on the spectrum?
Define high.
>>
>>8582959
You know if for some reason you were driven to study something in math, without it being a topic in class.

You know if you question why the things you are taught in class are true and have read on logic out of curiosity. And this is the only true indicator. If you don't care about where math comes from do not get a math degree because you will be bombarded with things that you will not care about.

If you just want to learn more math then do literally any STEM degrees. Everyone learns roughly the same mathematics up to differential equations. The only difference is that a math major will teach you why all that crap is the way it is all the way through it. And then beyond differential equations you will learn a lot of math that no one really needs to know unless they really reaaally want to know.
>>
>>8582959
If you are looking mostly into STEM, then math is a very convenient major to start with, even if you end up disliking it. Even after a couple years of mathematics, you can transfer into physics, CS, applied math, or any of those mathier sciences without having to take another year.
>>
>>8582959
Take a proofs class in university and see if you like it
>>
>>8583015
That is very convenient, thank you.
>>8583004
Very well put, I like the way you put it.
>>
>>8582959
Here's some books you should look through. Get them from gen.lib.rus.ec

Axler - Linear Algebra Done Right
Hoffman and Kunze - Linear Algebra
Rosenlicht - Intro to Analysis
Rudin - Principles of Mathematical Analysis
Armstrong - Group Theory
Armstrong - Basic Topology
Hardy and Wright - Intro to Theory of Numbers
Artin - Galois Theory

If you find them interesting then math might be for you. They are all introductory so you can immediately start reading the ones you like.
>>
>>8582959

Did you do well in your math classes?
Did you qualify for IMO?

Most people are not smart enough for math. Since you are asking for career advice from /sci/, it's safe to say you're not that smart.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.