[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I applied to a statistics MS program and an applied mathematics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: worried.png (551KB, 964x912px) Image search: [Google]
worried.png
551KB, 964x912px
I applied to a statistics MS program and an applied mathematics MS program and got into both.

I want to get into machine learning engineering. Which do I pick?
>>
>>8582127

>engineering

Neither. You should have applied to a CS ML program. People whine and moan that ML is just applied statistics and that CS is easier than applied mathematics, but the truth of the matter is that you need some real exposure to these areas if you're going to work in it. No sane employer is going to say, 'wow, you sure can prove a lot of theorems!111 guess you'll just learn how to do everything else on my dime :^).'
>>
>Only doing one program at a time
Fucking brainlets.
>>
>>8582129
everyone I know in ML did statistics in grad school
>doing a CS masters
>>
>>8582127
When I was researching Statistics programs to apply to, the general consensus seemed to be that MS programs weren't very good.

Regardless, you'll probably learn more about Machine Learning in the statistics program.
>>
The program you get your degree from matters less than the lab you work with and the experience you get from it.
>>
File: suicide.png (29KB, 882x1289px) Image search: [Google]
suicide.png
29KB, 882x1289px
>tfw feel like shit about my grad skewl prospects
>>
>>8582129
>You need to take graduate level Java GUI design or no one will hire you
>:^)
>>
>>8582127

What was your undergrad degree in?

>applied mathematics MS program

At second rate schools, these programs tend to be a joke. Some of them use baby Rudin for their "graduate" analysis course and others don't even require graduate Analysis/Algebra.
>>
File: 1482725898027.jpg (92KB, 479x324px) Image search: [Google]
1482725898027.jpg
92KB, 479x324px
Anyone who says machine learning is statistics does not know what they are talking about. The "learning" in machine learning refers to gradient-based mathematical optimization. Study applied math and brush up on your numerical methods.
>>
>>8582169
OP here

I had like a 2.9 in college and still got in
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.