[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So apparently AlphaGo came back with a vengeance and has been

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2

File: 020160310152913.jpg (71KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
020160310152913.jpg
71KB, 900x600px
So apparently AlphaGo came back with a vengeance and has been demolishing 9d players left and right. What does sci think about this?
>>
File: 1483387901169.jpg (30KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1483387901169.jpg
30KB, 480x480px
>>8580957
If it starts doing mathematics I'll be killing myself.
>>
OP, at least post a link...

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2117067-deepminds-alphago-is-secretly-beating-human-players-online/
>>
>>8580957
I've watched the majority of the games played by Master(P) on Tygem and Master on FoxGo. While there were some suspicions that Master was AlphaGo, many of us thought that it had been developed in Korea. We also thought it would be crazy for DeepMind to name their bot "Master" of all things.
It's interesting to know that it was, in fact, AlphaGo this whole time. Watching it mow down the pros one-by-one has been fun, if not a little depressing. I wonder what the future holds for Go, and if we'll be able to find a way to catch up to AlphaGo someday.
>>
>>8581142
>DeepMind to name their bot "Master"
I didn't find it that strange; they named the AI "Alpha"Go, for example.
I wonder if this theme will follow on with Starcraft AI.

>I wonder what the future holds for Go
I wonder what the future holds for many learned professions.

Are there any English commentary videos for the recent games?
>>
>>8581225
No English commentary that I know of, but if you're 5k+ (KGS rank) then you can follow along pretty well as a spectator without it anyways (that's what I did).

I think calling something "alpha" is different from calling it "master," especially in the context of technology.
>>
would be more interesting if alphago was purely a neural network
>>
>>8581285
why?
>>
>>8581298

if i remember, it's still uses typical search strategies. it just uses neural nets to direct the search

wouldn't it be more interesting it it only used a neural net?
>>
>>8580963
you should learn how AI works, m8
it's not even difficult desu, at least the basis/theory
and I say this as a dropout who didn't even pass 2nd year of engineering
>>
>>8581305
i think you should read up more on how go works, how alphago works, and how neural nets work
>>
>>8581329

i read the paper
>>
>>8581269
>I think calling something "alpha" is different from calling it "master," especially in the context of technology.
merely a quip :)
>>
>>8581331
that's great, now give yourself an actual background in the subject first and then read that article again
not using MCTS would likely make the bot worse and further obfuscate our already limited understanding of the AI (thanks DCNN!)
there is no reason for it to seem more interesting by using just nerual networks
>>
>>8581342

i'm sure it would be worse. alphaGO was intended to be a high-performance bot, and that's what it is. but i am not interested in CNNs, nor MCTS
>>
>>8581342
>>8581346
It could techinically work on a neural network. The netwrok would need to learn how to do a montecarlo search without that being hardcoded in. But our brain is a neural network just with 100 billion nodes... .

Like if we want an AI to play real time video games, montecarlo wouldnt be an option, it would have to solely rely on neural networks. the reason montecarlo is works in go and chess is that time freezes and gives the bot time to think. but video games move at a minimum of 30 fps so we would need a MUCH bigger computer with way more processing power.
>>
>>8581392
>our brain is a neural network just with 100 billion nodes...
the rest of your post is pretty okay but this memeing right here is triggering me
>>
>>8581142
>catching up to an AI

no
>>
>>8581392

>The netwrok would need to learn how to do a montecarlo search

no, it would not. MCTS simulates a huge number of games, but people do not do this while playing go. i doubt that it would learn any method resembling MCTS.

MCTS is kind of a hack desu
>>
This is actually great!

I can now blame my 100+ losses on AlphaGo beating my rather than some AI that I could beat.
>>
i've actually heard that the policy network by itself can select pretty good moves

if that's the case, then that's already an example of a pure-nn solution, even if it is just a CNN
>>
>>8581446
>people do not do this while playing go
confirmed for never playing go at any respectable level
>>
>>8581533

you play out thousands and thousands of games until the end every single turn?
>>
>>8581539
what do you think happens when it takes a player 10 minutes to make a move? they just stare at the board? they try out the "obvious" local moves, far away ones, and then a smattering of semi-random ones in pursuit of a clever move, and this is to try and look many moves ahead. in a way, MCTS is very similar to how go is actually played, it's just that bots would have less guidance and would need to try out more moves at each level. it's not a "hack," and any neural network would likely have to adapt a way to check out certain unpredictable moves that the initial training data would not have recommended. if anything, neural networks are a hack since the resulting AI is essentially a black box
>>
>>8581551

mcts plays games to the end many, many times. you might do a few very shallow searches when you play, but it's not the same.
>>
>>8581555
>you might do a few very shallow searches when you play
i don't think shallow means what you think it means, but anyways:
>in a way, MCTS is very similar
i did not say it was the same, i said that it is very similar to what we already do, and calling it a "hack" just indicates an unfamiliarity with how the game is played
>>
>>8581561

what's your rating, if you don't mind me asking?
>>
>>8580963
it already does that.

wolfram alpha knows math better than you ever will.
>>
>>8581397
If they dont change it or update it at all it will be easy to catch up.

If they do then probably only another computer can do it or a computer assisted human.
>>
>>8581566
i'm 3k according to KGS
>>
>>8581572

better than me then. if it weren't so late, i'd ask you for a game.

anyway, i still kind of disagree with what you're saying, but i'll leave it at that, i'm tired.
>>
What do you mean 'came back'? Didn't it already demolish the best player in the world some time ago?
>>
>>8581578
what is your rank, anon? sleep well!
>>
>>8581582

i'm just a double-digit kyu pleb on OGS.
>>
>>8581569
>wolfram alpha
Nice try Stephen.
How come Wolfram Alpha didn't help you become a valuable mathematician?
>>
>>8581305
>Monte Carlo Tree Search
>typical
don't forget, MCTS is a new technique only a decade old, compared to the venerable alpha-beta depth-first search that dominates the chess-like games.

That said, it would also be interesting to develop an AI framework that could discover new things in the search arena, rather than just refinements of the evaluation function. That would require artificial creativity.

(AlphaGo still boggles my mind. Before it hit, everyone thought top-level computer Go was decades away.)
>>
>>8581142
>Master
Wow that's pretty racist.
>>
>>8582008
they missed an opportunity to use "Sai"
>>
deeply concerned senpai
>>
>>8581461
Yes. The MCTS is not required for the system to work. It just works much better with MCTS, which is why they use it.
>>
AlphaGo smurfing in high elo challenger
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.