[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So /sci/, what happens if we teach local CC students math the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: 1482200971669.png (324KB, 882x889px) Image search: [Google]
1482200971669.png
324KB, 882x889px
So /sci/, what happens if we teach local CC students math the way Wildberger does? You'd get some pretty interesting results in the future wouldn't you?
>>
>>8579892
It'd be a good idea to teach rational trigonometry. Most people can't give a good description of what a sine or cosine within a year of taking standard trig anyway. Best to do away with those. Only problem is lack of a standard textbook on the subject.
>>
>>8579892
>those traps

Wildberger confirmed for not natty.
>>
>>8579957
>It'd be a good idea to teach rational trigonometry.
Eh, this, maybe.
I agree it does frustrate the student's knowledge of what math "is all about" to manipulate elementary functions for years before knowing what they "actually are," But rational trig seems very non-intuitive and heavy on plug-and-chug, to where you still couldn't compute "span" and "quadrance" quickly by hand in many cases.

Also how the fuck does he look so much like Molymeme here holy shit
>>
File: 001[1].jpg (27KB, 640x392px) Image search: [Google]
001[1].jpg
27KB, 640x392px
>>8579957
>It'd be a good idea to teach rational trigonometry.
Do you support me being shot if I disagree?
>>
>>8580103
You're probably right about rational trig being too plug and chuggy. Standard trig, despite using square roots and transcendental function (requiring use of a calculator), definitely has immediate utility for real-world calculations. But I like the motivation and intuition behind rational trig and hope it can at least be incorporated into the standard curriculum somehow.
>>
>>8579892
wildberger getting prepared for war bois we must prepare too,
>>
>>8579892

You're literally the only person who continuously shills for Wildberger, and it's quite irritating.

>Wildberger does it again!

>Wildberger! Drop everything the fuck down!

Do you honestly have nothing better to do? Jesus this place is quickly heading towards /b/ tier autism.

Have you considered suicide? Either that or go ask him if you can be his boi bitch.
>>
File: md11679433067.jpg (29KB, 300x435px) Image search: [Google]
md11679433067.jpg
29KB, 300x435px
>>8579957
>lack of a standard textbook on the subject
But there is one.
>>
>>8579892
Who is wilberger?
>>
>>8580320
The mathematician with the biggest IQ in recorded history.

So big, they say, that he can do analysis and geometry without real numbers and is a huge deal. Reals are the last standing "brainlet crutch" in mathematics that allows you to have a perfectly continuous line of points which helps a lot when it comes to analytically solving certain equations. This works because even if analytically you get an answer like "pi times the square root of 5", you can approximate this number through numerical methods and use it in the real word. When, without real numbers, you would have to face the fact that some equations don't have perfect analytical solutions and would require numerical analysis not only to approximate a solution, but to get the solution in the first place.

The greeks were able to increase their IQ to that level to the point where they only used rationals for their geometry but after they were wiped, no one had enough IQ to do this anymore but now it seems like a new hero was born.

He also disproved the goldbach conjecture.
>>
File: 1482298249958.jpg (68KB, 530x600px) Image search: [Google]
1482298249958.jpg
68KB, 530x600px
>>8580211
>Implying anything on 4chan can't qualify for /b/ tier autism
>>
>>8580325
See
>>8580211
>>
I was thinking more of a "let's teach CC kids that the set of reals is false" type of thing. When tutoring them we could coerce them to stop writing roots and all that and tell them to tell their professors to do the same for the sake of practicality.
>>
The reals are bullshit man! It's a conspiracy!
>>
no becuase it's a CC and they won't persue mathematics any higher
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.