[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I was wondering is there a gene that specifically determines/regulates

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: dna.jpg (25KB, 550x374px) Image search: [Google]
dna.jpg
25KB, 550x374px
I was wondering is there a gene that specifically determines/regulates the storage of white fat ? If so would it theoretically be possible to modify/mutate
that gene so that all the consumed caloric energy is used for all other cells (muscle,organs,brown fat cells etc.) other than the white fat cells ?
>>
>>8579126
if I knew that gene, I'd be rich
>>
>>8579152
heh read my mind, exactly why i'm even asking,
god i just wish i'd get a vision of how to find it and become a billionaire already
>>
>>8579126
What the fuck is white and brown fat?

I'm just gonna say no because your question sounds dumb.
>>
>>8579161
autism: the post
>>
>>8579126
The existence of fat cells and what they do is part of the fundamentals of our metabolism. It evolved to work like that over millions and millions of years. Someone with a mutation that breaks that mechanism is extremely likely to be severely ill. You can't just turn it off and be done with it. Especially because it wouldn't make any sense: Fat is important. Too much fat on the other hand is something you do to yourself. The reason you did this to yourself is because you are an undisciplined piece of shit. So rather than breaking your metabolism I suggest you actually try to start with the original cause for the problems: Your mind. Not everything can be simple and convenient.
>>
>>8579182
I'm not even fat, i lift 4x a week and eat healthy.
I'm asking because i'm interested and a mutation of this gene could end up being very profitable as a business compared to other mutations.
No need to go full autism for asking a question.
>>
>>8579185
And you honestly expected a breakthrough response in a fucking image board filled with autistic undergrads and high schoolers? Are you retarded?
>>
>>8579194
Nah no breakthrough response, just maybe a lead or a semi-promising theory that i haven't heard of.
Since its /sci/ thought someone might have at least a shitty idea about this subject.
>>
>>8579168
then grab and read a genetics or physiology book you dummy
>>
>>8579194
why dont you send DNA of a fat guy and DNA of his thin twin brother to 23andme and let them find out?
>>
File: 1369384166674.jpg (55KB, 944x719px) Image search: [Google]
1369384166674.jpg
55KB, 944x719px
>>8579126
It wouldn't work for so many reasons.

The biggest one is shown with the problem of DNP, google it. Making the excess energy be "used for all other cells" is unlikely to happen, your body can only do so much and it's generally not a problem with having enough energy. The excess energy is most likely to just become radiated heat and just like DNP, this can easily kill someone and we would have no way of stopping it. Someone simply going on a twinkie binge could cook them from the inside out.

Second, white body fat is required for you to live. It produces certain key proteins, a few of which help decrease hunger. Without them, the person will feel even hungrier than normal and will be even more likely to kill themselves in a twinkie induced cooking.

Then we would have problems with how to store things such as excess glucose. You can only store so much glycogen and I do not know if there would be enough brown adipocytes to store the excess. If not, you could easily see dangerously high sugar levels which is sure to cause a whole list of problems.

And you can't reasonable just turn these genes off for just a little bit or anything of the sorts. These people would need to be under constant careful watch to make sure it has been long enough to make a difference while not long enough to kill them. No you would be better off trying to figure out a safe method of DNP usage or something else all together.
>>
>>8579242
Because in like 99% of all cases the reason for fat people being fat is NOT genetic, but due to poor upbringing, stupidity and other personal traits. And the genetic reasons for that are pretty much impossible to pinpoint.
>>
Lipid metabolism is a teensy bit complicated. I'd wager to guess you'd be looking for hundreds of individual coding genes promoters,regulators etc...

Here's the thing, fat storage is thousandfold more strongly linked to environment and behavior than genetics. Meaning nutrition and physical activity. This goes for fat 'type' as well.
>>
>>8579126
theoretically yes however there are a metric fuckton of function to genes that are not always known. For instance the gene might also be used in upregulation or down regulation of ATP synthesis or some other unknown ramification.

so yes, but the region probably also does many important things.
>>
Hormones affect whether fat is stored as white fat or brown fat. You could probably just use some kind of drug, though there will be side-effects.
>>
there is rarely (if ever) "a" gene, it's a multitude of genes/gene regulation molecules involved

also metabolism has been shown to be related to gut microbes so good luck
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.