[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm having problems with two simple questions on the end

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: chem100_1.jpg (32KB, 350x259px) Image search: [Google]
chem100_1.jpg
32KB, 350x259px
I'm having problems with two simple questions on the end of my module.

Calculate the pH of a 2.3 x 10^-2M [h30+] HCI solution

and in the reaction below, which element is being oxidized?
3Br(subscript 2) +2 Ga -> 2 GaBr(subscript 3)
>>
The second question I believe is Gallium.
>>
>>8578936

huh, i thought it was bromine. Thanks though.

help with the first one? anyone? please?
>>
>>8578942
You can't oxidize bromine, it's an electrophile, it's like trying to oxidize oxygen or something

The gallium loses electrons that's oxidation
>>
>>8578929
The first question is easy

pH = - log [H3O+].

Plug in your concentration and hit - log or what ever your calculator does
>>
>>8578952
ah, appreciated. i'm feeling super dumb. i came up with a pH of -.84 for the first question.

Can anyone elaborate?
>>
>>8578969
See>>8578963
>>
>>8578952
Going by electronegativity you could oxidize oxygen with flouride. I can't answer your questions though, i'm retarded.
>>
>>8578929
free elemental Br2 has oxidation number 0
Bromine is halogengroup sooo it gains 1 electron to complete the shell to have its final charge -1 in Br-

So Br2 gets reduced and Ga gets oxidized
>>
>>8578963
There are 3 H+ ions you dolt
>>
>>8578977
Oxygen and fluorine makes oxygen look like a metal, fluorine is a special exception in most reactions because it's so reactive it doesn't follow many rules of basic chemistry. Like fluorine will rip electrons from chlorine and shit its super nuts

Also the pH of that question is 3.77
>>
>>8578973

Duh. I feel foolish. Super appreciated.
>>
>>8578985
>There are 3 H+ ions you dolt
So? The formula works both ways. It'd not 3 hydrogen ions, it's one H+=H3O+ they're interchangeable
>>
>>8578985
>hydronium
>3 hydrogen ions
Someone didn't learn to titrate
>>
>>8578929
pH is the negative decadic logarithm of the h3o+ concentration.
hcl is a strong acid, so it can be assumed that 100% of it is dissociated.
so the pH is -log(c(HCl))

look up the values of electronegativity to determine what gets oxidated.
Bromine is a halogene which means that it has almost always oxidates other reactans and thus gets reduced.
Look online for a pse wich provides as well values for oxidation states as for electronegativity.
>>
In the beginning of the lesson, they literally give the definition of pH and give an example with only slightly different numbers. Just plug in the new fucking numbers shitstick.

My god child, it's hopeless. Should have never tried. Maybe humanities or vocational education is more your speed
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.