[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can you actually make decent money studtying physics/math (evevn

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 1836456.jpg (56KB, 608x606px) Image search: [Google]
1836456.jpg
56KB, 608x606px
Can you actually make decent money studtying physics/math (evevn applied), or would you be better off with Medicine?

(Given u wouldn't have to pay anything for your studies.)
>>
>>8578079
You can make decent money, definitely, but it doesn't come even close to what you can do with medicine. And I say this from the
perspective of someone studying mathematics.

In STEM you are succesful if you earn 100k a year. You are very fucking succesful, actually. Meanwhile in medicine earning 100k would be considered terribly unsuccesful and means you are either working part time because no one wants to hire you, or you chose the shittiest especialization.

If you care only about money then pick medicine but always remember: When it comes to university degrees, everything you gain in terms of money is traded by bits and pieces of your will to live.
>>
>>8578086
That went dark. I have a friend doing radiation physics. He seems to like it a lot. I thought about doing that, but instead I went to "ordinary" physics graduate school.

One of my professors in undergrad never got married and lives in a one bedroom condo close to the school. I once made a remark about how many books he buys in a week and how big his personal library is. He responded by telling me that he doesn't know what to do with all of the money he has saved up. I'm sure his salary isn't terribly impressive, but he's super happy with his job and doesn't have to worry about money at all. The point is that the amount of money you make shouldn't be your only consideration. If you love physics or math, you should strongly consider doing physics or math. Plus, as shitty as it is to the university, you can always drop out and get a good job with a physics or math bachelor's degree (at least your chances are pretty good as far as majors go). IT takes a while to get paid a decent wage. I'm a grad student now and I get paid more than enough to live on and based on the amount of work I actually do, I feel like I'm robbing the place. But it's going to be a long time before I make a respectable wage.
>>
>>8578108
>That went dark.
But its true.

The people with the most will to live are those who study liberal arts. They either get super pumped to do easy peasy art with no actual labor, or they get so brainwashed by some political ideology that they can't wait to start their activism. But they are all poor.

Then there are tech degrees. Easy degrees that give you the necessary degrees. Still, you have to put effort and you are not so happy go lucky but it is still good. Your wages are still low

Then there are STEM degrees that put you all over the place, but solidly at or above the middle class. But the constant hard work can take some of your carelessness and turn you into a serious human being.

Then there are the top MONEY MONEY degrees like medicine and law that have soul crushing competition, soul crushing courses, soul crushing requirements and soul crushing end results. You end with your soul empty but your pocket full.
>>
>>8578108
The thing is, I love some aspects of Physics, but, at the same time, I love the stress of working 16h as an med/apprentice, tailing senior doctors (for now) an all that.

I'd doubt I could ever amout to anything in academy.

Being a Doctor is dream of many parts: 1. Decent wage, although not that woe compared to years of studying. 2. Being able to choose where u work (only in Europe, given u know the language)
3. No ''getting to know the right people''-bullshit,

So, what's your reason for not going into Medicine?
>>
>>8578132
>I love the stress of working 16h as an med/apprentice
>I love the stress

Fuck, so they include brain washing in your curriculum now? I guess it was necessary but fuck...
>>
>>8578132
If you're in undergrad now, majoring in physics or math isn't incompatible with med school. In fact, don't physics majors usually do the best on the mcat?

Mostly I just wanted to learn more about the core of physics and knew that if I didn't so it now, I never would. Medical physics is interesting, but I'm interested in other research and want to pursue that. I'm just following what I want to do most. I can't confirm that this is good advice, but so far, I'm happy with that decision.

The hardest thing to get over is that in medicine your work has a very clear positive effect, whereas working in academia almost certainly won't have the same impact.
>>
>>8578137
Well, they need to save somewhere, and what would be better than......
>>
>>8578137
I used to work as a cook before, that felt stressful. Only now your not dependent on a plate of food, but someone's life, possibly.
>>
>>8578139
Yea, it's not compatible, maybe in entrance exams, but otherwise no.
>>
>>8578137
my sister is a chef, works about 16 hr/day, she says it's stressful as fuck, but she loves it

if you love something, you'll learn to love all aspects of it
>>
>>8578079

If you have the opportunity to study medicine, why the hell would you study math or physics?
Bleak future. Difficult.
Not selective. Your peers are usually the worst students in the uni.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.