[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What will remain from our civilization for future archaeologists?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 125-df98a-acc312-dfb455-389489.jpg (226KB, 854x538px) Image search: [Google]
125-df98a-acc312-dfb455-389489.jpg
226KB, 854x538px
What will remain from our civilization for future archaeologists? How long will our cellphones, washing machines, TVs, computers, cars, trains, planes, helicopters, ships etc be preserved in the ground? Will there be the Plastic Age in addition to the Stone Age, the Iron and the Bronze ones?

Any archaeologists or chemists here? How long will plastic last? I know that ceramics and glass last very long, but what about plastic and our other current materials?

What will stay for 1000, 2000, 5000 years?
>>
You could say we are in the plastic / informatic age now. The only future ages are the early space age and the empire age.
>>
>>8576949
Glacial ice cores should show a blip in atmospheric CO2 concentration, and other stuff like lead, mercury, sulfates, etc.
>>
>>8576949
Preservation probably depends where the trash is more than anything. Some polymers last 5000 years but how they figured that out I dunno.

Mankind will probably leave his mark by a very thin layer of radioactive ash.
>>
File: image.jpg (637KB, 1200x920px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
637KB, 1200x920px
Future civilisations would wonder at the strange concentrations of radioactive isotopes I guess ... Unnatural manned geological formations like dams, mines the chunnel etc might catch their attention ... Occasional satellite dropping from the sky ... Cut diamonds and precious stones, sculptures at mt Rushmore would probably take several hundred thousand years to erode from the cliff fce to the extent it ws no longer recognisable
>>
>>8576949
A layer with bones from all ages, unusuals isotopes and materials and radioactivity all over the place in the long run. Big Cities will be recognizable for some thousand years, as ruins and streets.
>>
>>8578440
i don't wanna be that guy but you'd figure unemployed third worlders with nothing to do all day would at least tidy up the sea of garbage that always seems to surround them
>>
>>8578544
And where are they supposed to put it?
>>
>>8578551
I dunno but it's always literally surrounding them it shouldn't be too hard to gather it all and move it away I fucking hate seeing it
>>
>>8578544
They don't think of it as garbage.
>>
>>8578544
Do you just spend your time cleaning up other peoples' messes for fun?
>>
>>8578544
Maybe it continually flows in from the ocean. But if I lived there id spend all my free time piling that shit into a whole hole until it was all gone or i died
>>
>>8576949

>What will stay for 1000, 2000, 5000 years?

Drifting broken satellites.
>>
>>8578544
Black people have no concept of external maintenance, they only clean themselves while the area collect with garbage until it pisses them off, that is why most black places on earth are filthy and full of litter because these humans cant understand why they shouldnt litter all the place.

Makes sense blacks are use to their materials being thrown anywhere, things like garbage are alien to their brain.
>>
>>8578679
Only the GEO ones. LEO satellites will fall down in a matter of decades due to drag from the thin atmosphere at that level.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.