[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm learning quantum mechanics and there's one thing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

File: 1455277953018.gif (2MB, 600x333px) Image search: [Google]
1455277953018.gif
2MB, 600x333px
I'm learning quantum mechanics and there's one thing I don't understand. I hope /sci/ can help me.

tl;dr: What exactly is causing the collapse of the wave function?

In my uderstanding there are all kinds of interactions. When two or more particles interact, their wave functions become somehow related but still remain uncollapsed. But a "measurement" instantaneously projects the wave function in some eigenspace. I guess my question can be rephrased: Which kinds of interactions constitute "measurements" and which don't? For what reason?
>>
Have you tried resetting the router?
>>
>>8575734
measuring=transferring the information
>>
>>8575734
>What exactly is causing the collapse of the wave function?

Nobody knows. You take a measurement and then wave function collapses to a definite state, what causes that to happen, no one knows.
>>
>>8575898
There is no such thing as wave function collapse
>>
Wave function is a probability density (well not quite). When you measure the coin must be either heads or tails.
>>
>>8575908
Actually it depends on interpretation, however the many world's interpretations is more plausible than the copenhagen
>>
>>8575734
No collapse just interactions
>>
Greedy quantum surfers
>>
>>8575924
>however the many world's interpretations is more plausible than the copenhagen

How so?
>>
>>8575924
>worries why electron goes left or right
>doesn't worry when universes pop up left and right

if this isn't religion, nothing is
>>
>>8576109
This
>>
>>8575734
Non adiabatic interactions. Adiabatic in the QM sense is a bit different than the thermodynamic sense you might be thinking.

It has nothing to do with information/consciousness/memes of course.

One way to learn more is to look into what the people trying to make quantum computers are doing. Their main goal is to prevent wave function collapse and so they understand it better than anyone else.
>>
>>8575734
>What exactly is causing the collapse of the wave function?
Observation and manifestation (e.g. writing the output down).
>>
>>8576100
No apparent reason but it seems more plausible and I like that, I don't like that Copenhagen leaves it's interpreters to suggest that something as silly as consciousness leads to wave function collapse
>>
>>8576109
Religion is unfounded belief in the supernatural that takes precedence over the natural world, call it intuition but my gut tells me that the many worlds is much more plausible than "spooky action at a distance" it requires the creation of new laws that conflict with our current understanding of physical law.
>>
There's only ONE thing you don't understand?
>>
File: 1458637247705.jpg (29KB, 960x852px) Image search: [Google]
1458637247705.jpg
29KB, 960x852px
>QM thread on the internet
>scroll through
>no mathematics involved

That surprised me! XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!
>>
>>8578203
Why don't you give us a simple description using mathematics then cunt?
>>
>>8578203
Being good at math doesn't necessarily mean you understand anything autist
>>
>>8578203
That is because the "casuse" of wave function collapse is a philosophical question.
>>
File: 1474794288766.png (21KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1474794288766.png
21KB, 640x640px
>>8575908
>There is no such thing as wave function collapse
The only sensible answer.
>>
>>8578149
no, it leaves pseudoscience jerks saying that. no one with academic training who throws in with Copenhagen interpretation says that crap. that whole consciousness collapsing the function junk can almost all be directly attributed to physicists using simplified words and analogies to describe experiments to the idiot masses. phrases like "as soon as we look at" etc. crafted an idiot armchair philosophical movement of quantum mysticism. no experiments imply that consciousness plays any role in the outcome. if you throw in with Copenhagen interpretation, it's still fucky and leaves you with more questions than answers, but there's no implication of consciousness involved.
>>
>>8579830
Yes! Thank you. Sometimes pop-sci does much more harm than good.
>>
File: schrodingerdal.jpg (17KB, 231x346px) Image search: [Google]
schrodingerdal.jpg
17KB, 231x346px
>>8575734
you'll get more out of schrodinger's books
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.