[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the difference between voltage and current, and why

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5

File: image.png (610KB, 789x630px)
image.png
610KB, 789x630px
What's the difference between voltage and current, and why can relatively high voltage (e.g. static electricity) still be harmless?
>>
Think of it like rape. Voltage is how strong you are. Resistance is how strong your date is, and current is whether or not you can j-jam it in. If you are both super strong shes probably just gonna karate chop you and thats that, no snu snu.

Static electricity is like one of those body builders that has huge muscles but is actually really weak, and probably a fag. So when he tries to rape some heterosexual straight male hero before the feminists get to him, hes basically useless since the guy was a construction worker and has the potent kind of muscles from a life of lifting things. So no score

To summarize static electricity is gay.
>>
>>8572740
Voltage, current and resistance don't really exist.

Only electrons exist. And when one point of space has more/less electrons then some other point, the difference between number of electrons can be, with major simplifications, expressed in Volts (normally, batteries or current generators have constant flow of electrons which generate voltage, but connection between the amount of electrons and voltage can be expressed through C = F * V, where C is amount of electrons, F is capacity of the capacitor where the electrons are condensed, and V is voltage).

So when voltage between point A and B is 100V, you have a lot of electrons that want to go from point A to point B. How do they go there? Well, electrons, due to some obscure chemical theory of atoms, travels easiest through metals. Thats why we use wires for communication. So, if there's a metal path from point A to point B, electrons will start flowing. That's called current. However, electrons don't just "flow" through metal, they actually "hit" the other electrons in the atoms and lose some of their energy that way. That's called RESISTANCE. Different materials have different resistance, so the stronger the resistance is, the harder time electrons will have flowing from point A to point B.

TL;DR - Voltage is 'attack', Resistance is 'defense' and Current is the 'damage dealt'.
>>
>>8572740
>why can relatively high voltage (e.g. static electricity) still be harmless?

Because W=VI
>>
File: waterelectricity.png (47KB, 1718x1412px) Image search: [Google]
waterelectricity.png
47KB, 1718x1412px
>>8572740
You can imagine it with water containers. Just it's electrons instead of water flowing from the container with bigger charge to the container with lower charge until both containers are in equilibrium.

The Voltage is the difference between two charges.
The Current is the flow of electrical charge from one container to another.
The Resistance limits the current, like a valve in a pipe.
>>
>>8572835
Yeah, I'll explain my answer a little better.

>Because W=VI

W=V*I

Watts = power... it's literally the work energy
Volts = electrical pressure
I = Current = Amps, it's the amount of electrons passing a set point per second.

So, even if V is very VERY high, it won't have much Wattage if I is very very low.

make sense?
>>
>>8572740
Think of it like this.
Voltage is a measure of the energy per electron.
Current is the charge passing through a cross section per unit time. You can see this depends on the speed (ie energy i.e. voltage) of the electrons and the number density of electrons.
Your body only gets damagedby electrons flowing through you (in Layman's terms), so it's just the current (which depends if voltage) which hertz you.
>>
>>8572740
Static shocks aren't actually harmless. Thousands of people die every year from static electricity, your average static shock is 20,000 volts where as your wall socket is 110-120 volts or 220-230 volts, depending on your country. The truth about electricity is its not that dangerous, you can touch the bare wires in your home and feel nothing (its less than a 100th the voltage of static which hurts only a little). FACT: zero people have ever died from anything less than 480 volts, ever. Your house voltage being dangerous is a lie spread by the power companies to prevent people from stealing electricity.
>>
File: -charged-.jpg (16KB, 274x335px) Image search: [Google]
-charged-.jpg
16KB, 274x335px
pressure*volume/time = voltage*charge/time = voltage*current = power
>>
>water analogies for explaining electricity are still used in schools
>>
File: voltampohm.png (9KB, 278x260px) Image search: [Google]
voltampohm.png
9KB, 278x260px
models is all we have
and the illusion of knowledge
>>
>>8572749
Only on /sci/ could you (accurately) relate scientific phenomena to rape and nobody bats an eye.

[math]never change[/math]
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.