[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /sci/, I'm an Industrial Engineering major. What are

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 1347944063737.jpg (32KB, 620x349px) Image search: [Google]
1347944063737.jpg
32KB, 620x349px
Hey /sci/, I'm an Industrial Engineering major. What are some ways I can build a resume and what're some skills that I can learn outside of college to show different jobs I can be a useful employee? I heard of Lean Six Sigma, and that many ISE majors get certified in that. Are these certifications useful?

Also, how much does GPA come into play while finding an internship and post graduation. I am currently going into the spring semester of my sophomore year, and I am beginning to take more in depth and specific engineering classes (engineering economics, engineering computing and probabilistic systems). My GPA is hovering around a 3.0.

Any advice/input would help! Thank you!

Also, general university thread.
>>
>>8571536
>industrial engineering
>industrial
Trashed.
>>
>>8571537
Sorry I'm not smart enough and don't have the work ethic (mostly not smart enough) to go for mechanical. Also, computer and electrical don't interest me.
>>
>>8571540
I ain't taking to you broke bitches, I got money now
>>
>>8571536
Quality management and developement stuff (If you didn't learn a lot about that during your major). Also some cad skills are a good idea, learning about manufacturing (again, if you didn't learn a lot about this during college)
>>
>>8571593
would you suggest looking into any other types of engineering? Like maybe taking a specific course in computer, mechanical or civil engineering?
>>
>industrial engineering
Iam statistics student and there is that one operation research course that I have to take from industrial engineering department. It was hoenstly disgusting. What the fuck was that? I felt like I was doing a business thats trying toohard to be smart. Fuck industrial engineering.
>>
>>8571536

Asking career advice on /sci/.
That's your first mistake.

Ask your peers, seniors, career counselor, friends, TAs, and profs.
>>
>>8571536
>>8571614
Did industrial engineering for 2 years before switching to mechanical for undergrad, aeronautical for masters. If you don't think you're smart enough, chances are you're just lazy or have shit study methods, you can easily do mechanical or whatever.

Industrial eng is shit (at least in the uk) for job prospects, no one gives a shit about it and it is a shit hodge podge of engineering and management, with the ability to do neither.

My honest advice is try to swap and get involved in ENGINEERING extra-curriculars (formula student or some shit). Make some shitty robots with arduino, maybe volunteer for teaching.

Either go engineer or go management. No one wants both, no one cares. People go into industrial after they get a job, not as a starter.
>>
>>8571659
>2 years of industrial
>then switched to undergrad
>UK

so you amassed 18k of debt, how do you feel about that? I want to change my discipline (first year undergrad) but then I worry about the debt and wasted year that could be spent on a masters. Wat do?
>>
>>8571536
>Are these certifications useful?

yes. get any kind of certification and credential you can.

safety and lean six are both good.

listen, you should be starting a portfolio (aka a nice looking binder) that contains sections for the following

>certifications
>letters of rec/awards
>project documents from previous work (schematics, CAD models, scopes of work, etc)

>Also, how much does GPA come into play while finding an internship and post graduation.

quite a bit, but as long as you are above 3.0 you should be fine. sub 3.0 isn't a show stopper for an engineer, but expect to work some shit tier gigs till you get to something worthwhile.

grad school you want a 3.5 unless you want to do a non-thesis masters which is a glorified technical degree. its still a good investment though, especially since there has been a bunch of talk about requiring a masters degree for guys to get their PE's.
>>
>>8571659
from what i understand, most guys who get a BS in Industrial Engineering end up in sales.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.