[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need some insight on choosing a degree. Currently I am entering

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: quick look busy.jpg (135KB, 1300x974px) Image search: [Google]
quick look busy.jpg
135KB, 1300x974px
I need some insight on choosing a degree. Currently I am entering junior year of my BSc in Chem but I am considering switching into BME for better job prospects and salary. I hope to get into medical/pharma R&D industry straight out of uni. Is switching a wise choice or would continuing in chem and getting a MSc grant me a better chance of getting into the field I want? I have undergrad research experience already and my school does not offer chemical engineering
>>
>>8569722
I did the opposite of you, almost, but because of the same reasons. I want to get into pharma r&d and I think I'll have a better chance with a bsc in chem + msc in biochem. Not sure the likes of novartis and pfizer are looking to hire molecular biologist (my case), sadly.
>>
>>8569722
BME here with BSc. Job prospects are great, but that's also because my concentration in u grad was synthetic heart valves and flow, but I have friends who've concentrated and signaling, and have jobs also
>>
>>8569734
ah I see, do you know anything about the job market atm for pharma? last I heard it was grim but that was a couple years ago
>>8569745
How is the job environment? do you mainly work in an office or do you do lab work and office work?
>>
>>8569722
>Currently I am entering junior year of my BSc in Chem

So you've nearly completed the chem major right? Why switch instead of pick up a second major in ChemE/BME or whatever?
>>
>>8569767
regardless of which degree I choose, it will be another 3ish years before I will obtain it. If I go chem I would do honors and another work term. If I choose BME I would have 2 more work terms, I catch up semester and the rest is regular semesters. I live in Canada also so tuition isn't too bad compared to USA.
>>
>>8569765
>ah I see, do you know anything about the job market atm for pharma? last I heard it was grim but that was a couple years ago

here in my country there is a lack of chemists and one of my profs mentioned how his wife is a chemist working at a somewhat big pharma, small stuff like that did but to help me choose to do the switch
>>
>>8569777
which country do you live in?
>>
>>8569785
sweden
>>
>>8569777
Med chem departments are being closed down everywhere - read Derek lowes blog
>>
>>8569734
Unless you work for an hyped up company that is coming up with the newest and latest Novartis doesn't want hire you.
Why spend money on research when you can just purchase a final product?
Any technology currently on the market is not worth pursuing, not edgy enough of prospect of long patent life.
>>
>>8569897
Oh, I forgot to mention that when they purchase that product they will gut the company if not outright close it and move production to consolidate production facilities
>>
>>8569897
>>8569899
>>8569828
I'm not OP, I'm the guy who first replied to him

interesting input, nonetheless
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.