[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If I want to travel faster than light, why can't I just

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: speedlight.png (8KB, 1053x386px) Image search: [Google]
speedlight.png
8KB, 1053x386px
If I want to travel faster than light, why can't I just take a particle and project it with enough energy that when plugged in the value will be >c?
>>
>>8568580
Also how can a photon travel at all if you can't divide by zero?
>>
>lowercase e for energy

Because that's an equation which is only valid for zero velocity. The proper equation is
[math]\displaystyle E=\frac{mc^2}{\sqrt{1-\beta^2}}[/math]
where [math]\beta[/math] is the velocity relative to the speed of light. Solving for the velocity, you find
[math]v=c\sqrt{1-(mc^2/E)^2}[/math] which approaches the speed of light asymptotically as the energy becomes large.
>>
>>8568597
Excuse my failure to use in-line latex. Beta is v/c.

>>8568587
Again, because you're not seeing the full picture. Mass isn't properly defined for that situation, but momentum is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnMIhxWRGNw

Just watch this.
>>
>>8568604
>>8568597

Why isn't this taught in schools?
I haven't taken uni phys, but even in AP phys it was always "muh E=mc^2"
>>
>>8568587

According to all known laws
of physics, there is no way a photon
should be able to move Its duvision by zero is too impossible to get its fat little body off the ground. The photon, of course, moves anyway because photons don't care what humans think is impossible
>>
>>8568612
More seriously and mêmes apart, this isn't taught in school because those in charge of school programs think of students a brainless monkeys that should be force fed knowledge (at least where I live)
>>
>>8568613
fuck off jerry seinfeld
>>
>>8568612
>Why isn't this taught in schools?
Because educationists and politicians think children are too dumb to understand it, so they remove anything modern from the curriculum.
It is taught in "advanced" classes like honors or AP, however. If you took AP physics at a decent school you probably should have seen this, at least in passing.

Unfortunately, teaching highschoolers about spacetime and Lorentzian metrics is probably a bit too much for the last week or so of their semester, so it's unlikely that a full demonstration of special relativity will ever appear at the gradeschool level. The curiosity at this point is what drives many people to major in physics at uni.
>>
>>8568624
>The curiosity at this point is what drives many people to major in physics at uni.

At which point they don't see it until Modern Phys. II Junior year.
>>
>>8568632
>At which point they don't see it until Modern Phys. II Junior year
Sophomore year for me, and by that time I had picked up a few books from the library and talked with more senior students. Uni isn't what people expect it to be, sure, but that doesn't mean it can't exceed those expectations.
>>
>>8568612

Because e=mc^2 is most often brought up to talk about mass-energy equivalence, not FTL.
>>
How exactly the fuck do you intend to increase energy without increasing mass?

Don't say increase kinetic energy, that will also increase mass as you approach relativistic speeds
>>
>>8568767
>increasing mass
This is an outdated interpretation.
>>
Protip : e = mc^2 is an approximation.
>>
>>8569106
Ah, and also it is not said that nothing can go faster than light.
The claim is that there is a speed limit that cannot be exceeded, which is likely the speed at which light travels.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.