[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Space elevator is never going to happen, but what about a space

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: 1439840953725.jpg (56KB, 880x558px) Image search: [Google]
1439840953725.jpg
56KB, 880x558px
Space elevator is never going to happen, but what about a space stairway? Just walk right up until you are in space.
>>
>>8562505
But that's an order of magnitude more retarded than a space elevator.
>>
>>8562505
Op is a retard but i have a real question: what is the upper limit of building height possible with current technology? Apparently in Abu Dhabi they're going to build a 1 mile tall skyscraper, how much higher can we get? What is the theoretical upper limit?
>>
>>8562511
By the time that tower is done, we'll have the capability to make an even bigger one.
>>
File: Space Mountain.png (344KB, 1113x461px) Image search: [Google]
Space Mountain.png
344KB, 1113x461px
>>8562505
Space Mountain!!!

Mars did it!
>>
>>8562519
But what's the theoretical limit? 5 miles? 10 miles? 50?

If we make one high enough couldn't we is it as a launchpad for planes or rockets? Especially rockets since one even 5 miles up has a fraction of surface atmosphere to slog through
>>
>>8562526
Over a mile requires new technology right now, technology that would certainly be developed if people really wanted the tower made. One that is that tall and capable of launching rockets is probably not possible right now.
>>
>>8562526
>>8562533
1.5 miles is about the top limit with current tech. I think 2 miles would be the absolute physical limit for a tower that isn't a mountain.

Everest elevation is 5.49 miles, fyi.
>>
>>8562525
Is there enough land in Africa to theoretically build the mountain? Concentrate all the land into a single mountain that reaches space? I mean we can just euthanize the Africans and move all the cool African animals to Australia (since they are already being hunted to extinction, we should do this with or without a space mountain). Most of Africa is inhospitable desert anyways and could use a good terraforming.
>>
>>8562537
>>8562533
I'm guessing that has to do with materials mainly? I'm sure memetubes aren't an answer, but i guess im surprised that steel and glass will carry us a mile or so but not much further.

Ty for your responses anons
>>
File: 1475372224391.gif (2MB, 277x342px) Image search: [Google]
1475372224391.gif
2MB, 277x342px
>>8562544
It wouldn't be able to reach space. The Earth's mantle will sag in that spot once it reaches a certain height. the best use is to build it as high as possible up to the limit of it sagging the mantle. Then build a launch pad or whatever on that. You'd most likely be able to get a 10 miles high "mountain" if you design it correctly. Keep in mind that Olympus Mons is 13.6 miles high, but it is solid.

>>8562548
>I'm guessing that has to do with materials mainly

Correct. there's only so much you can do with the materials known to us. Of course you could build something using metal foam, but it wouldn't be usable for anything.
>>
>>8562544
>tfw all these great works that are theoretically possible but don't happen because of """ethics""" or """economics"""
>>
File: 1473741153484.gif (4MB, 425x236px) Image search: [Google]
1473741153484.gif
4MB, 425x236px
>>8562555
>Keep in mind that Olympus Mons is 13.6 miles high, but it is solid.

Also Mars is 0.376g. Thus its solid mountain could only reach 13.6 miles, but on Earth at full 1g it wouldn't get more than 5-6 miles being solid.
>>
>>8562556
>tfw we spend billions of dollars funding a healthcare system that is constantly drained due to 3rd worlders
>tfw this money could be going to amazing large scale engineering projects and better healthcare at the same time if we just removed them from the equation
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.