[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Everyone says the electrons flow from the voltage source through

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 1324732208.jpg (19KB, 367x327px) Image search: [Google]
1324732208.jpg
19KB, 367x327px
Everyone says the electrons flow from the voltage source through a load and then back to the voltage source. But I thought the point was that the load dissipated all of the energy? If so wouldn't there be no more electron flow by the time you traced back to the voltage source? Isn't the circuit more like a one-way road at that point (assuming DC), and if so why doesn't hooking one wire to a thing floating in a vaccum actually conduct electricity?

Electricity is fuckin bananas.
>>
>load dissipated all the energy
Who the fuck told you that
>>
>>8562251

Nigga, who knows
>>
Think of the current as a flow of particles (amps; coulombs per second)

Each of these particles is holding a charge (voltage; joules per coulomb)

As these particles flow through the light bulb they are depositing their charge, but the flow is still going. Sort of like a toll booth on a highway.

Extremely layman and rudimentary analogy, but it's enough to get you going I guess
>>
What else do you want to learn about electricity
Nobody on /sci/ ever talks about electreicity so I get hyped when I see it
>>
>two way current
>DC
r u a wizerd?
>>
>>8562202
>a one-way road
No, more like a roundabout. Current always flows in a loop, for every electron get gets pumped out of the source, another one returns into the other end.
>>
>>8562202
It appears that your misunderstanding is caused by a lack of understanding what voltage is

To have voltage you must have charge separation (more particles of like charge in a place) and thus dissipating a voltage requires a flow of charged particles
>>
>>8562336
>>8562369

Ok here. Since my post I read some more. Now I feel like I understand a little better. Instead of a fast flood of electrons blasting around the circuit, it's more like a huge amount of electrons barely moving but there's so many they're able to carry a lot of charges per unit time. The electrons carry charges/energy that interact with loads, e.g. in a lightbulb they "bump" into atoms in the filament that absorb the kinetic energy and become heated, glowing releasing light. The electrons basically act like the spheres in those pendulum things you see on desks--the first one hits the second and just transfers energy to subsequent spheres.

Does that sound right?

I still have zero understanding of how the instant a switch closes electricity starts flowing. Isn't there already an electric field formed regardless of whether there is a physical connection?
>>
>>8562268
I always used to imagine it like this
Amps = how much of electrons flow
Voltage = how tight they are crumpled together
What flow is this "group" of them.
>>
>>8562202
The load doesn't dissipate all the energy. Just most of it. Some of it is dissipated in the wires. You want that part to be as small as possible, but it can't be zero unless you use superconducting wires, or else there would be no current through the wires. Think of a pump connected to a water wheel by two troughs, the upper one sending the water to the wheel, and the lower one returning the water. You want most of the height loss to happen at the water wheel, but the troughs have to be a little downhill for the water to flow in them.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.