[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the origin of logic? I've been thinking about this

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

File: wojak vs pepe.gif (2MB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
wojak vs pepe.gif
2MB, 400x300px
What is the origin of logic? I've been thinking about this for a while and I told mom I won't be going to school today because I was so immersed in this; can /sci/ help me?
>>
>>8558794
God
>>
>>8558802

metaphysically speaking, sure, God. but what kind of God, the omnipotent being version of God clearly defy empirical logic.
>>
>>8558794
Logic is an extrapolation of the law of identity.
Law of identity cones from where?
No fucking clue.
>>
Logic was invented by philosophically inclined mathematicians. That's its origin.
>>
logic is an abstract order
logic is just the coherence of an idea.
it is ruled by the idea of existence
impossible things can not exist.
>>
>>8558794
Aristotle
>>
>>8559407
no, Parmenides
>>
The universe proceeds, so must logic.

It gets muh popsci pretty quickly, but because time is allowed to go forward, to proceed, so can processes, which are made of one thing being realized from another. But really you only have that one thing becoming what it was all along.

Go look up
>>8559440
And Aristotle.
>>
>>8558794
if we assume 1 = 1 and 0 = 0 and 1 !=0, and furthermore 0 + 1 = 1, then you have establishment of binary logic. All other math is logical consequence of that.
>>
>>8558794
logic is empirical. we tried to formalize rules of thought that seem correct. or that seem to work irl. formulate them, abstract them, formalize them.
>>
>>8558806
omnipotent version cannot exist in the closed system where logic exists and must exist outside of logic, where logic can be interpreted as "self-imposed restraints."
>>
Western Logic was primarily created by the two presocratic Greek philosophers Parmenides and Heraclitus. (Moreso Heraclitus, imo).

These two created the foundations. Later philosophers, in particular Aristotle, went on to formalize it into the more stringent definitions that we have today.

The nice thing about these two philosophers is that each has only 1 extant work, so you dont have to dig through a bunch of texts. Parmenides has a sort of narrative structure while heraclitus presented his thoughts in a collection of sayings and musings.

I just wrote an essay on these two that goes into much more detail. if you're interested i can post it for you to read
>>
Answer me this one question fellow ubermensch, how come there is only a finite amount of logical relations; implication, negation etc etc
>>
>>8559552
post it
>>
File: Parmenides-img.jpg (14KB, 283x370px) Image search: [Google]
Parmenides-img.jpg
14KB, 283x370px
>>8559591
Here. It's kinda long though, so watch out.

http://pastebin.com/NVa1sDh1
>>
>>8559611
Also, there's some BS in there because i had to incorporate quotes and analysis from various authors/scholars.
>>
>>8558794
>What is the origin of logic?

Empirical observation. The axioms of logic are derived, in the first place, from observations of nature. Later axioms don't have to be based on reality, they can be entirely arbitrary as with mathematics, but the underpinning of logic is observation.
>>
>>8559611
Philosophyfag here. This is really interesting. Thanks
>>
>>8559649
Nice. I'd recommend taking a look at the full texts for context.

http://philoctetes.free.fr/parmenidesunicode.htm

https://en.m.wikisource.org/wiki/Fragments_of_Heraclitus

Keep in mind this translation translates "logos" to mean "word", but Heraclitus used logos to mean something more akin to "order" according to my professor and the two texts i read on him.
>>
>>8559746
I've read the Fragments, but not the Proem. Ty again :)
>>
>>8559573
Because there is only a finite amount of physical pain. I think Aristotle explored this.
>>
It seems to me to be rooted in the observation of patterns. These patterns are memorized, learned, and can be applied analogically in future situations.
>>
>>8558802
Elohim bro
>>
>>8558794
>i told mom i wont be going to school today
lmao hows middle school going jimmy?
>>
>>8558794
Cause and effect thinking, the simplest fish knows that something big comes near it it means its gonna get eaten.
>>
>>8559573
There are infinitely many if you allow an arbitrary number of variables. If you don't, it's because 2^(2^n) is finite when n is.
>>
>>8558794
Logic is intertwined with information, anytime you have distinguishable existents you have dichotomies, true and false, here and there, etc. Binary logic necessarily exists in this case.
>>
>>8558794
It's very simple really...
Humans can use abstract thinking unlike other creatures, so we started to use those abstractions to direct our thoughts.
Those became object of study of philosophy, that "invented" logic, math and science.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.