[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do more capable brains run the body in a more efficient manner?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: brain-training.jpg (48KB, 250x253px) Image search: [Google]
brain-training.jpg
48KB, 250x253px
Do more capable brains run the body in a more efficient manner?
For instance, does a "smarter" person's brain run the body at a more effecient tempurature or heart rate? Has there been any real studies on this sort of thing?
>>
If that were the case, one might expect intelligent people to be more likely to be overweight, since their bodies would use energy more efficiently and therefore be more prone to storing it as fat.

But perhaps that would be offset by having a more metabolically taxing brain.
>>
Actually bretty good question, bump
>>
>>8557724
Unless the brain could also weigh the potential damage to the body from such a load... I think it would be interesting to study this sort of thing.
>>
File: 1475789763335.png (537KB, 663x783px) Image search: [Google]
1475789763335.png
537KB, 663x783px
>>8557712
>Do more capable brains run the body in a more efficient manner?
I notice more stamina in physical activities when I tax my brain (like studying).
I don't know though whether being *smarter* would help.
>>
>>8557732
>I don't know though whether being *smarter* would help.
Obviously "smart" is a nebulous concept, but there are obviously capable, flexible thinkers that you can drop in any situation and they will be able to learn the environment and adapt quickly. This is the type of correlation that I'm talking about. Do adaptable brains carry that quality into the automatic functions of the brain?
>>
yes anon, with an IQ of 158 one can easily become a triathlete olympic medalist
most don't do it because they are too intelligent for sports
>>
>>8557712
Many of the traits we might associate with "smarts" or individualistic skill sets are highly associated with neuroplasticity. Asking if this reasonably leads to individuals improving the unconscious duties of their brain is akin to asking if specific regions of the brain have more neuroplasticity than others, and if it's retained longer into adulthood.
I personally have no clue, as I am not a brain scientist. But some people on the internet are. You might find this link helpful.

https://www.quora.com/What-brain-regions-are-most-amenable-to-neuroplasticity

>The reasons why some areas of the brain retain less plasticity than others, and why there are overall limits to plasticity at all, are areas of active research.

Ultimately though, things like body temperature have been selected by eons of evolution. Natural variation exceeds a supposed "optimal" variation from person to person, and is generally indicative of sickness. But the essence of your question is still a good one.
>>
File: CxKwwwnUoAABuGN.jpg (77KB, 725x950px) Image search: [Google]
CxKwwwnUoAABuGN.jpg
77KB, 725x950px
>>8557755
Thanks for the link.
>>
>>8557712
>>8557712

Functionally, the nervous system has two parts:

► The somatic nervous system that voluntarily controls the striated muscles. It is the nervous system controlled by the will.

► The autonomic or vegetative nervous system that controls the smooth muscles (visceral muscles), the heart muscle and the glands.

The answer is no.
>>
>>8557795
The fact that they are functionally different areas (of the same CNS) does not necessarily address my question.
>>
>>8557712
Kek, I posted that brain picture many weeks ago when I made a thread talking about studying for 8 hours a day, and now I have seen it on multiple different boards and on /sci/ at least 3 different times.
>>
>>8557724
IQ correlates with a higher LBM, lean body mass index, meaning less fat, thinner.

Can't be arsed to look up the numerous studies on google though. Do it yourself.
>>
>>8558003
A higher lean body mass does not mean thinner or less fat. A 350 lb person at 60% body fat has a higher lean body mass (140lbs) than a 150lb person at 10% body fat (127.5 lean mass).
>>
File: tetris.gif (730KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
tetris.gif
730KB, 1920x1080px
>>8557712

>Do more capable brains run the body in a more efficient manner?
I take that as a big yes..

Capable brains run the body in a more efficient manner... vice versa.

>more effecient tempurature or heart rate?
Simple meditation can do that. There are even monks which can focus heat on their finger (which baffles the scientific community, you can even pay a visit for proof)

https://www.startpage.com/do/dsearch?query=tetris+brain+sugar

Tetris is really a good brain excercise especially when you're level 15 (or infinite mode ~) that fast pace is a perfect workout for the brain. I used to suck but now I can finish the 'classic mode /15 levels' in around 20-30 minutes of course with back to back t spins and tetris for multiplied scoring and a good controller.

https://thebeautifulbrain.com/2011/06/the-neuroscience-of-tetris/
>A prevailing theory known as the Tetris Effect states that when a person initially starts to play Tetris, their brain consumes a huge amount of glucose in order to solve its fast-paced puzzles. Through consistent and limited daily practice, the brain begins to consume less glucose to perform just as well, if not better, at Tetris. After a few months the brain becomes so efficient at playing the game that it requires only a very small amount of fuel to perform the game’s rapid puzzle work.
>>
>>8557724
John von Neumann was fat.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.