[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is sleep necessary or can it be circumvented so that we can effectively

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: 1481474578159.png (82KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1481474578159.png
82KB, 500x500px
is sleep necessary or can it be circumvented so that we can effectively double our productivity?
>>
File: zFQUFLM.jpg (46KB, 402x547px) Image search: [Google]
zFQUFLM.jpg
46KB, 402x547px
The only key sleep cycle is rem sleep, an average person can suffice with about 3 hours of rem sleep a night. There have been numerous studies into the human sleep cycle that illustrates that removal of rem sleep results in the adverse psychological affects. So no, you cannot at this time removal all your time spent sleeping.

Catch some z's anon.
>>
>>8556274
I've been sleeping irregularly for five years and I'm much dumber now
>>
File: images (2).jpg (15KB, 384x384px) Image search: [Google]
images (2).jpg
15KB, 384x384px
>>8556388
Not to worry, I've been sleeping well for years and still dumb
>>
>>8556274

It's a tricky question because we're not exactly sure why we sleep in the first place, just that if we don't our brains get fucked up and eventually we die.

It's not just a problem of conserving energy, since theoretically all we would need is a midnight meal and some regular "sit down"/low activity periods to maintain metastasis. It's not like it's some kind of inherent law of thermodynamics either, since we can make robots that just keep going when supplied with energy, with a similar energy consumption rate as us without issue. Rather, it seems to be a unique property of our neurology and biochemistry, that we require down time for "maintainence" of some sort to prevent accumulation of stress hormones and degraded mental function. Whether that's something that could potentially be engineered away with human modification (surgery, cybernetics, gene modding, etc.) without introducing other issues is an open ended question that I'm not sure anyone has a real answer to. Nature is an engineer, and a brilliant one at that, but in the end she is merely an engineer like any other and her solutions can often be improved.
>>
>time for bed
>drink 2 cups of coffee
>lie down and close eyes
>dont fall asleep, think and hallucinate at will instead
>get up in 3 hours feeling more refreshed than if i'd slept
based coffee-naps
>>
>>8556274
2x0 is still 0
>>
>>8556274

Some level of sleep is necessary, there have been people who for various medical reasons lose the ability to sleep, they die in extreme agony within a week or so. The actual amount of sleep you need varies considerably from person to person, if you want to maximise your productivity try getting just four hours of sleep a night, if you feel groggy and useless then up it to six hours or even eight hours.
>>
>>8556274
you die without sleep. sleep is absolutely necessary.
>>
I remember an infographic being posted about cutting your overall time spent sleeping by taking multiple short naps and inducing the REM state as efficiently as possible. It's not getting rid of it entirely, but if it works it's cutting down sleep significantly.

Whenever I've had a vivid dream, I always feel much more tired at first and can easily fall back asleep, but if I actually force myself to get up I feel much better after about 5 minutes and then throughout the day than when I get loads of sleep but have no recollection of dreaming.
>>
>>8557491
but why? truely.

Science is about asking questions.
>>
>>8557821
Your brain cells like all your other cells need to make ATP to do shit which they make from Glucose which is stored as a large molecule called Glycogen. For some reason brain cells accumulate most of their Glycogen while you are sleeping, my guess is because your body is doing shit for all while you're are sleeping so that prevents your body from needing all that sugar.

Try supersaturating your body with glycogen and see if you need to sleep. Bonus points if you don't dehydrate or kill yourself.
>>
>>8556274
Dunno
Try using the sleepyti.me website
>>
>>8557338
Enjoy dying young
>>
>>8557868
To expand on this while you're awake your brain uses ATP which ultimately leads to Adenosine build-up which makes you sleepy. Coffee works because it acts as an antagonist preventing Adenosine from binding to receptors and thus making you feel refreshed until it ultimately gets cleared/stops blocking the receptor (i'm not familiar with the exact way of how that works, haven't studied it yet) and you feel like shit. One of the things that happen during sleep is your brains ATP reserves get replenished.
>>
>>8556274
>gives up opportunity to not work
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.