[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone good with metals? Here's the problem to solve, suppose

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: alg-pennies-jpg.jpg (123KB, 970x724px) Image search: [Google]
alg-pennies-jpg.jpg
123KB, 970x724px
Anyone good with metals?

Here's the problem to solve, suppose you wanted to separate pennies into two piles, bronze pennies and copper-plated pennies

But we are talking several thousand.

Visual inspection works and you can verify by checking the date (post 1982 = copper-plated zinc).

Assume that if you pour them out, you could successfully extract ~80% of all post-1982 by visual color difference of the metals. What would be the best method for checking the remaining mixture of pennies?

My initial thought are that they have different reflective properties, so that you could tune a light to quickly shine out the remainders. Anyone have a better idea?
>>
Do some redox chemistry using another reference metal. You should be able to tell if it's oxidizing or reducing based on which metal is plated onto/off of the penny
>>
Clean them all well and measure their resistance. Bronze has a conductivity about twice that of copper and zinc.
>>
>>8554450
Using an induced magnetic field you can make the high conductivity copper coins "jump" further away than the bronze coins. Coin op machines use many ways to check for legit coins, including conductivity.
>>
>>8554450
Pre-1982 pennies are not bronze, they're 95% copper and 5% zinc, which would make them brass if anything.
I separate my pennies by visual inspection and store the old copper ones separately, I've noticed the details on newer copper clad zinc pennies are sharper, but other than that you pretty much have to check the year. Many 1982 pennies are zinc, others are copper. Also color is not a reliable indicator at all, I've seen so many beat to shit blackened pennies that turn out to be from 2002 or something.

The best method would be weight, zinc weighs ~7g/cc, copper weighs ~9. No automatic machines take pennies, so they didn't have to make the weight of the coins the same after the 1982 change.
>>
Weight
>>
>>8554450
Chuck them all into a furnace at about 800F. All the ones that melt are the copper-plated zinc ones.
>>
>>8554450
>What would be the best method for checking the remaining mixture of pennies?

PAY SOMEONE TO FIGURE OUT THE PROBLEM INSTEAD OF TRYING TO GET A FREE ANSWER OUT OF SCI.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.