[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would it be possible for a technologically advanced civilisation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: lb.png (563KB, 853x636px) Image search: [Google]
lb.png
563KB, 853x636px
Would it be possible for a technologically advanced civilisation to build a habitable ring around a star? I'm not worried about the logistical problems of building (ie resources used, oxygen) I'm more interested in the issues around how it would behave.
>>
>>8549585
The heat and solar flares would prove to be quite an issue, also It seems far more practical to build a space station in orbit around a star.
>>
>>8549590
>>8549590
but surely building a ring would just be like building a massive amount of space stations around a star and then connecting them, so it could be done, right?
>>
>>8549592
It would be possible but stupid.

The surface area and manoeuvrability of a giant ring around a star would make it difficult to dodge debris and solar flares (don't think a solar flare would be easy to dodge considering how fast and massive they are but still), its a far more inefficient use of space because the ring shape means there's more surface area too, not to mention it would have to be unnecessarily large, the amount of time and resources required would be preposterous. Unless being a ring actually serves some other purpose it's just a stupid idea.
>>
Post more lindybeige.
>>
>>8549585
If you need to harness an entire sun's worth of engergy (dyson sphere) you're probably doing it wrong
>>
>>8549628
>lindybeige
>thinks climate change is a mass conspiracy
kek
>>
File: trump dubs.jpg (106KB, 736x721px) Image search: [Google]
trump dubs.jpg
106KB, 736x721px
>>8549705
So does the God Emperor. Your move.
>>
>>8549709
>warhammer40k
i dont know that overrated franchise
>>
File: 1480941365384.jpg (147KB, 750x734px) Image search: [Google]
1480941365384.jpg
147KB, 750x734px
>>8549713
I'm talking about pic related ya dunce.
>>
>>8549716
so you're saying trump is a dumb as lindy beige? kek
>>
>>8549585
do you realize how fucking big stars are?
>>
>>8549716
Most of /sci/ are liberal retards, just like most of /pol/ are American cultists. Every board has its thrash.
>>
>>8551525
>dat attempt at slipping in a false dichotomy
>>
>>8551525
Thanks I'll go to pol for my 4chan time before bed now. I thought this was the retard board.
>>
>>8551511
>I'm not worried about the logistical problems of building
>>
>>8551830
What i meant wars that i don't think such a structure could be possible
>>
>>8551903
but surely if you had enough resources it could be
>>
>>8549585
I'd say it is not feasible.

>Mass to encircle a star at any non-melting distance is quite large
>a solid ring is unstable and continue to perturb worse and worse
>you could just build a shitload of orbital platforms and achieve just as much as a solid ring could for much less effort

We could lay layers of cobblestone under every highway and the roads would last for thousands of years.

Or we could pound some gravel into the dirt and cover it with asphalt and just fix the potholes and other damage every year.

At the point you could build a ringworld, you wouldn't' want to.
>>
>>8553033
To simplify building a ringworld is like sending a chemical rocket to orbit Alpha Centauri
>The science is elementary
>The engineering is known possible but difficult
>The financial commitment doesn't exist
>>
>>8549705
>Being so autistic that you take someone speaking in hypothetical terms as someone speaking in real honest terms.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.