[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /sci/, I'm looking to get into /diy/ genetic engine

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: download.png (712KB, 938x639px) Image search: [Google]
download.png
712KB, 938x639px
Hey /sci/, I'm looking to get into /diy/ genetic engineering, as it's christmas is I'll have access to a substantial amount of money, and I'm wondering what kind of equipment I could get.
As it's a rather new field, I have two main choices.
>http://www.the-odin.com/genetic-engineering-home-lab-kit
and
>http://www.amino.bio/products/bioproductionlab
Both are fairly expensive, but I might be able to afford them after some saving up, does /sci/ have any advice or tips for getting into this? Any tips appreciated.
>>
Bump, advice appreciated
>>
>>8548950
>>8549857

The first one will definitely be more useful. You don't really need to autoclave shit. It's the gold standard these days, but you can achieve acceptable levels of sterility with ethanol and boiling.
>>
Definitely the first kit if you're deciding between the two.

But consider ebay. You can get a MUCH better thermal cycler for half that price.
>>
equipment i'd consider essential for molecular bio:
microcentrifuge - not just one of those little baby ones, a serious one with variable speed/time that can hit 15k rpm
thermal cycler - PCR is your workhorse tool, you need a reliable machine
electrophoresis rig - can't examine your PCR product without it
pipets - a P1000, P200, and P20 suffice for 90% of tasks. P2s are a luxury but DAMN they're nice to have around if you have some extra cash
frost-free freezer - ice buildup SUCKS but you can't have your samples being periodically thawed
shaker for bacterial cultures - something temperature controlled is best but shit will still grow at 20C
>>
>>8548950
They're shit. Reagents are expensive as fuck and they have expiration date.

You won't be able to do much. The most you could do is make bacteria express GFP.
>>
>>8550034
Huh, so how can I actually participate in this shit?
Seems like I'll have to make some public hackerspace, really the only way forward.
>>
>>8550034
the only things that might have a shelf life in that kit are the antibiotics and the ladders, and as long as you keep them frozen once you get them they'll last forever

>>8550040
honestly? volunteer at a lab. it's not just the equipment you're talking about, it's also the service contracts for the equipment, the reagents, the consumables like tips and tubes and columns, proper waste disposal and safety precautions.

this shit gets expensive FAST
>>
>>8550050
Are there any age or experience requirements for this?
This comment is fake, but I fear I lack both.
>>
>>8550080
for what? volunteering at a lab or doing lab stuff at home?
>>
>>8550081
For volunteering
>>
>>8550086
Some basic lab experience would help but you should be able to find a position without any. If you find a lab willing to take volunteers, you'll just be doing stuff like cleaning glassware and doing autoclave loads for a while until they trust you not to fuck everything up and start giving you other stuff to do.

Age, as long as you're above 18 you should be fine.
>>
>>8550093
>Above 18
And what if this rule does not apply?
>>
>>8550099
it's not so much a question of legality but of whether they trust you to have the maturity necessary for the job and also the background knowledge

also you shouldn't be on 4chan if you're underage b&
>>
>>8548950
can you create the next Zika with those?
>>
>>8550147

Anon you can even make superbabies with those.

Just kidding, the chinese tried last year and failed and their lab was far more expensive with much better trained people operating it. Nobody know how to make superbabies yet.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.