[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what was the first question basic arithmetic failed to answer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: zZv41.png (15KB, 335x220px) Image search: [Google]
zZv41.png
15KB, 335x220px
what was the first question basic arithmetic failed to answer and lead to a major advancement in other areas of math?
>>
>>8541751
They're both the same answer, I don't get it.
>>
>>8541751
Modelling continuous problems was certainly one of them
>>
File: 1481386661096.gif (623KB, 360x263px) Image search: [Google]
1481386661096.gif
623KB, 360x263px
>>8541768
lmao brainlet
>>
>>8541751
All of computational mathematics is built on arithmetic. Higher computations and functions are abstractions of some base arithmetic. Arithmetic can't "fail" in mathematics.
>>
>>8541780
arithmetic by itself can't answer certain questions, like how to find the area under curve or a tangent on a point. my question though is when was this first apparent, like what was the first true need of analysis with arithmetic to answer a problem?
>>
>>8541790
>how to find the area under curve or a tangent on a point
Are you joking? You've never used Simpson's Rule? Do you not know about Riemann Sums?
>>
>>8541797
>Question is about what Artithmetic can't solve
>wtf no, it can
>uses an advanced complex analysis tool as example
>>
>>8541797
those are just approximations. i'm talking about exact values, which can't be obtained without proposing limits on summations you just mentioned.

think about it like this. let's say someone asked you "what's the arithmetic form of sin(x)" what would you say?
>>
>>8541802
>simpsons rule
>riemann sums
>advanced complex analysis

You used both these things to do this in elementary school geometry, although less rigorously defined.
>>
>>8541805
>"what's the arithmetic form of sin(x)"

Literally division, retard.
>>
>>8541805
>let's say someone asked you "what's the arithmetic form of sin(x)" what would you say?

Count x radians around unit circle, measure distance from x axis.

Do you really think counting and measuring is advanced math? GTFO brainlet.
>>
>>8542017
that's if you're doing trig ratio. if i ask you sin(x) how do you represent it in terms of x using just arithmetic? show me the function that gives you this.
>>
>>8542025
>arithmetic form
>brings up unit circle
>x axis

stop
>>
>>8542032
Draw a circle with diameter 2
At a point where your diameter line meets the circle, count that many units around the circle
Measure distance from your diameter line.
>>
>>8542026
It's in my precalc book which I can't be bothered to dig out right now. You can rework the pythagorean theorem to give it to you and I don't feel like deriving it again.
>>
>>8542057
t.Fermat
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.