[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it even worth it to get a degree if you're not in on

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: m3.jpg (55KB, 604x604px) Image search: [Google]
m3.jpg
55KB, 604x604px
Is it even worth it to get a degree if you're not in one of these universities? Or let me put it like this, what would a degree from a regular university from a mid/high (population) city be worth compared to these below?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHFWojDDucA [Embed]

>10. University of Chicago
>9. Imperial College London
>8. ETH Zurich (Swiss Federal Institue of Technology)
>7. UCL (University College London)
>6. University of Oxford
>5. California Institute of Technology (Caltech)
>4. University of Cambridge
>3. Harvard University
>2. Stanford University
>1. Massachusetts Institute of Technology
>>
I cant speak for the Euro schools but some of the Harvard and MIT math classes are insanely difficult.
>tfw this fucking course
https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/18-712-introduction-to-representation-theory-fall-2010/

But in academia theres still hope for you even if you did do you undergraduate at a lower class school. One of my Physics I TA's went to a liberal arts school for his undergrad in physics and is now doing a condensed matter theory phd at mit.
>>
>>8540147
Nigga, having education in a 1st world country is the best shit in the world

Don't be stupid, even a University of [state] is good enough for the rest of the fucking world
Just apply to the best university around you, get a nice fucking GPA and learn how to write a nice resume so you can get the jobs that the "Top 10" universities could have

Hell, they're top 10 because of cost, prestige and how they innovate but there are a fuckton good universities as well in the US and UK

>inb4 brainlet that didn't got into a good school
>>
>>8540147
Very stupid post.
>>
>>8540147
It is worth it because lets face it, nowadays if you do not have enough pieces of paper that say "This person is not stupid" then you are worthless to the world.

So either you are born rich with a bunch of green papers that will say you are not stupid or you hunt for diplomas and certifications so that those papers say you are not stupid or you become a succesful entrepreneur so that the paper that says you own that company also says you are not stupid or like most people: you get a fucking university degree.

The best paper at saying "See this person? I can almost guarantee he may not be completely retarded!"

And if you are not particularly wealthy, hard working or talented and lucky then the only thing you have left is the university degree.

Obviously, a degree from a low tier university will be worth less than a top tier university... BUT IT STILL A PIECE OF PAPER!

And as long as the paper says you are not stupid then maybe you really aren't and you deserve that 6 figure job sucking dick or whatever.
>>
>>8540147
there's only one correct answer
here it is
>It depends on the degree
>>
>>8540147
I go to one of these unis and it really doesn't seem that special so far and don't think I have vastly different knowledge to someone at a less regarded institution. Obviously depends on subject but will only really help when applying to very competitive jobs where the name of your uni might sway it.
>>
>>8540184
>https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/18-712-introduction-to-representation-theory-fall-2010/

Yawn. I did REUs in the US that went over multiple courses like this at undergrad level
>>
>>8540147
>tfw posting from imperial college london library
>>
The students make the diploma.
The "best" uni and schools are the best because the manage to attract the best students.
Be good and you'll be a productive person
>>
>>8540998
>meaninglesspost.jpg

dont forget to be urself!!
>>
File: buzz.jpg (63KB, 620x388px) Image search: [Google]
buzz.jpg
63KB, 620x388px
>>8540296
So there would be a slight disadvantage? Sounds logical, if that's the case then fuckit local uni here I come.

To infinity and beyond!
>>
>>8541118
Exactly, go for it OP.
>>
>>8540147
Where you get your doctorate is more important, and a good chunk of people in elite doctoral programs did not go to the schools you listed, though obviously going to an elite school for your undergrad will give you a boost.

But who am I kidding, barely anybody on this board knows shit about what goes on past your bachelor's.
>>
>>8540302
Like what
>>
>>8540147
>>10. University of Chicago
Acutally a meme tier school
>>9. Imperial College London
Deserves higher up
>>8. ETH Zurich (Swiss Federal Institue of Technology)
Not even worthy of the list of top 10 if you're talking globally
>>7. UCL (University College London)
Minimum #9
>>6. University of Oxford
Higher up
>>5. California Institute of Technology (Caltech)
Literally a meme school
>>4. University of Cambridge
>Cambridge
>Higher than Oxford
>ecks dee
>>3. Harvard University
Switch 3 and 2
>>2. Stanford University
See above
>>1. Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Foreign Asian student ruined the school
T. MIT JPL nigger
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.