[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ok /sci/ let's have some fun. Is there a point where it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: Why.jpg (48KB, 3000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
Why.jpg
48KB, 3000x2000px
Ok /sci/ let's have some fun.

Is there a point where it becomes ignorant to continue asking why? I don't mean like stupid stuff that can be Google'd. I mean something like in quantum physics or whatever.

Like gravitational waves, for instance. Right now we're looking for waves, then we'll look for where they come from, then we'll look for why they come from there, then we'll look for what causes the process that causes the process of the formation of gravitational waves, and so on.

When does it become ignorant to keep going? Is there a limit?

Sorry if that was a bad example, but I hope it gets my point across.
>>
>>8539787
never. all knowledge is useful to extend and help enjoy your life
>>
>>8539787
I think the limit is when the answers doesn't add anything to science(I.e can't make predictions, can't be verified by experiments, etc)
>>
Depends if it's in an argument or just for your own contemplation

I'd say it's impolite to discount people's ideas about one strata of whyness by trying to go deeper with another why if it's not warranted

It can also drive yourself to nihilism if you do it internally too much. At the core though the issue is an important one since you're really trying to get at the underlying basis of reality, it's just you have to do it in steps and can't dig too hard for answers that won't come
>>
>>8539817
Very interesting insight there. Makes a lot of sense.
>>
File: 1473019353341.png (686KB, 634x875px) Image search: [Google]
1473019353341.png
686KB, 634x875px
Why isn't there anything inside a quark?
>>
I think once the cause becomes non-physical, where we have a fundamental rule of the universe, it's not productive to look for more causes
>>
>>8541044
That's probably the best way to think about it
>>
>>8539817
>It can also drive yourself to nihilism if you do it internally too much

This isn't necessarily a bad thing. If there really is no inherent meaning in the universe, I say it would be a good thing that a rational being figure that out as quickly as possible and adjust accordingly.
>>
It becomes useless to ask why when we don't have any emprirical evidence for an explanation. There are always some fundamental experiments that haven't been explained in simpler terms E.g. What is spin? Spin is something we have observed, that's about all you can say. There are no experiments that exist to explain it in a fundamental way, so the question becomes unscientific.
>>
>>8539787
Your example is wrong.
We know gravitational waves are a thing we should observe, according to GR.
We detect gravitational waves.
We have more evidence GR is a good theory. Thats all.
We done did it.
Now we might use gravitational waves as a mean to get info about the universe.
>>
>>8539787
why would it be?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.