[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If Olympus Mon was on Earth how feasible would it be for someone

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: olympus-mons.jpg (42KB, 436x251px) Image search: [Google]
olympus-mons.jpg
42KB, 436x251px
If Olympus Mon was on Earth how feasible would it be for someone to climb it? And would anyone reach it even today if it was on Earth this whole time?
>>
>>8537959
If olympus mons were on earth it would collapse under its own weight
>>
>>8537962
It's a big mountain.
>>
Oxygen deprivation would probably make it impossible to ascend beyond a certain point.
>>
>>8537971

People have been to the bottom of the ocean. I think we can solve a mountain with a little bit of oxygen tanks.
>>
>>8537982
The death zone is at 28,000 meters. You would need a full fledged space suit since a third of olympus mons would be in the stratosphere.
>>
>>8537985

And? We've walked on the moon before.
>>
>>8537962
Well it wouldn't really collapse,but it would erode away over time just like every other massive mountain has in the Earth's past.

Past Earth probably had mountains as high or higher than Mt. Everest is today from previous continental collisions. Places like the Appalachian mountains were at one time very similar to the Himalayas today.
>>
>>8537990
It's probably a lot more physically demanding to climb a mountain with a space suit than to walk on the moon. I imagine you'd displace a lot of oxygen with that much aerobic climbing mixed with having to go such a long distance up the mountain
>>
>>8538001

Then they would make a bigger air tank. Or have an air line. Or come up with a million other ways.

You probably thing that base camps on Everest are cheating too, lol.
>>
>>8537996
Yeah. Mountains seem to have a maximum height due to weathering. A geological seminar presented in my department last year (geo major) was about reconstructing the geological history of the Andes and it's very obvious when you look at the lithography of the Andes that 70% of them are gone because the rock layers weathered away. Because of the speed of mountain building in the Andes it's pretty good evidence that there's a maximum height mountains can reach.

A professor we have went to study the main fault between the Indian subcontinent and Asia last year, to study the fault driving the Himalayan orogeny. From that data it looks like any more mass overriding Asia will simply force the plate down into the mantle instead of building it any higher. Again good evidence for maximum height.
>>
IIRC Olympus Mons has a steep cliff around the edge then the top is huge and basically flat, so it wouldn't be a technical climb, just an extremely long one that requires oxygen.
>>
>>8538021
Oh, and if you're interested Earth's largest mountain, Mauna Kea is basically like a huge pile of soft pudding. It's so light it's able to maintain a massive height (it helps it's mostly underwater) in comparison to other mountains of the world.
>>
>>8538004
It's just a logistical nightmare. When you have to carry everything on your back, it's hardly a walk in the park.
>>
>>8537969

For you.
>>
>>8538001
what if you make a motorcycle that runs on some kind of fuel that has an oxidizer in it? No need for air, and you won't be doing nearly as much work

this assumes theres a smooth road to the top
>>
The climb would be easier since Olympus Mons is nowhere near as steep as any of the 8k meter mountains. The logistics nightmare comes from the fact that more than 2/3rds of the mountain is in the death zone, as well the higher you go up (until you reach the stratosphere) climbers would face winds and weather that just gets more and more extreme. If Olympus Mon existed, I don't see us being able to make it to the summit until the 1960's at the absolute least. Nevermind how much more expensive it would be to get up there.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.