[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>be me >22-year-old male >third year history major >"what

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: maxresdefault.jpg (53KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
53KB, 1280x720px
>be me
>22-year-old male
>third year history major
>"what the fuck can I do besides be a teacher?"
>"Maybe I should change my major to computer science?"
>Would take another two years or so to graduate. 24-25 when I actually graduate with a bachelor's.
>I would no longer get financial aid after my third year
Is it worth it, or should I just graduate with a history degree in a three quarters?
>>
>>8534675
Do you like programming problem solving?
>>
>>8534753
and*
>>
>>8534757
I have never actually programmed anything. My brother is majoring in computer science, and it seems pretty interesting. I have taken trigonometry and pre-calculus at my university, and I was able to get As in both of them. I do enjoy math. I just feel insecure about my career prospects after college.
>>
>>8534675
Graduate with a history degree and learn applied CS in your own free time. Computer Science degrees are an absolute meme. Most jobs are in programming and there is literally no regulations in software.

Way back medicine and engineering started with only rich snobs who just asked their politician friends to put a bunch of regulations for "who is an engineer and who isn't" to feed their ego but you know when programming started? Programming started with autists in their beedroom. Now the industry has grown and it is still mostly autists in their bedroom. Anyone can be a programmer. Anyone can do software. There is no legal requirement to produce and sell software.

Literally just fucking do it. I don't even have a degree and I do programming professionally.
>>
>>8534778
Well take an online course before you do anything drastic, see if you like it. And consult your brother.

And for heavens sake don't get in CS for money, you won't be getting good at it if you don't genuinely enjoy working with computers, which requires working on your on projects in your free time and putting in that extra mile.
>>
Change your major and pay for tuition with your own money if it comes to that.

Consider that many high schools don't even hire History majors to teach History class, but instead get the fucking football coach to do it.
>>
Yo holy fuck I was just putting my fingers on my head exactly like OPs image.

Freaky shit, proves God exists.
>>
>>8534675
You can still apply to Law School as a history major, stupid.

I know at least 12 people doing that
>>
File: 1481433965980s.jpg (6KB, 179x250px) Image search: [Google]
1481433965980s.jpg
6KB, 179x250px
>>8534886
>Freaky shit, proves God exists.
kek
>>
>>8534675
i switched majors a bunch, going to graduate when 29

do what you need to but remember you'll likely end up taking more than the minimum course reqs to fulfill your degree

just meeting the minimum wont be good enough, you'll need to take a lot of electives related to your new degree and not rely on your old courses too much

it should be 30 new, 10 old at most for your degree to matter.
>>
>>8534675
>>"Maybe I should change my major to computer science?"
>>Would take another two years or so to graduate.

Fuck no. Just learn CS on your own. It's the easiest STEM subject to do so.
>>
>>8534675
Well anon, I searched for it because I was curious and this excerpt seems good.

>Historians as Educators
Elementary Schools
Secondary Schools
Postsecondary Education
Historic Sites and Museums

>Historians as Researchers
Museums and Historical Organizations
Cultural Resources Management and Historic Preservation
Think Tanks

>Historians as Communicators
Writers and Editors
Journalists
Documentary Editors
Producers of Multimedia Material

>Historians as Information Managers
Archivists
Records Managers
Librarians
Information Managers

>Historians as Advocates
Lawyers and Paralegals
Litigation Support
Legislative Staff Work
Foundations

>Historians in Businesses and Associations
Historians in Corporations
Contract Historians
Historians and Nonprofit Associations

It seems like there are lots of things.
>>
Don't listen to
>>8534786
He is right, there is no federal law that makes it mandatory to have a CS degree in order to work in software.

HOWEVER
Imagine you were an employer? Why would you hire a random guy who says he has learnt programming on his free time?
He has no public record, no grades that prove it, nothing.
Word of advice, if you want to work on your own projects, post them on github and make sure that you tell your interviewer about that.
Contrary to what most people thing here, C S is not a meme. Yes, it is not like pure mathematics. Yes, it is largely about programming. So what?
>>
>>8535761
desu if I was an employer and some dude showed me he knew CS and had no background or education in it whatsoever I would probably get on top of that personal determination.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.