[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Theories of cognitive evolution suggest that social species are

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

File: _81542980_026240086-1.jpg (29KB, 624x351px) Image search: [Google]
_81542980_026240086-1.jpg
29KB, 624x351px
Theories of cognitive evolution suggest that social species are also smarter.

Species with proportionally larger brains also tend to larger social networks.

Complex social structures are a sign of intelligence.

How come, then, so many intelligent academics throughout the ages have been complete social outcasts or otherwise wondrously socially inept?

For yourself, why do you have so few (if any) friends?
>>
File: 1395009853298.gif (152KB, 400x267px) Image search: [Google]
1395009853298.gif
152KB, 400x267px
Probably because the cognitive tasks required to be a social organism are not necessarily the same as those required to be a human calculator, coupled with plasticity in cognitive function, especially when you consider differences in rearing patterns between individuals.

Social species like crows and scrub jays typically need a fine tuned memory to be able to navigate social interactions; keeping tabs of who helped you and who hurt you, who you can and can not depend on, and being able to remember where food caches are stored, ect.

Also bear in mind that for many more complex social organisms, early life is typically a learning period where they gather skills needed to navigate their social environment. Those individuals that bury themselves in studying or are otherwise highly isolated early in life are also likely to learning different skills and talents that would prepare them for a significantly different environment (such as one without friends or social networks) than those children who are highly prosocial or have access to vast social networks that they navigate regularly.

TL;DR: Behavioral plasticity + social isolation = more time for studying and less time playing with friends = higher scholastic achievement = academics.

To answer your final question, I have no friends.

Kill me.
>>
>>8532085
>To answer your final question, I have no friends.
>Kill me.

Would you rather be a brainlet normie? And don't be a liar, you have us!
>>
>>8531935
being more social allows them to learn that it is best to be left alone
>>
File: 1481499792858image.jpg (931KB, 1280x1519px) Image search: [Google]
1481499792858image.jpg
931KB, 1280x1519px
>>8531935
>tfw too intelligent for social interaction
>>
>For yourself, why do you have so few (if any) friends?
I have aspergers and dont like talking to people irl
>>
>>8532567

All a person like you needs to do is find a situation where people who don't have other friends congregate to be social. Then, you can socialize with other people who don't like to be social. Works for me. A local maker's workshop. An art studio. A bookstore.
>>
>How come, then, so many intelligent academics throughout the ages have been complete social outcasts or otherwise wondrously socially inept?

Because with the existence of written text, art, music and math they do not have to be a "active" participant in social spaces to contribute to the social collective.

Said academics are effectively latent who produce residual effects in the social climate.

>For yourself, why do you have so few (if any) friends?

I've worked in health, education and now application development. I'm always around people during work, my time off is cool down for me where I remain in solitude.
>>
>>8531935
I think you're just extrapolating causal relationships past the point they actually extend. Social animals may need more complex behavior patterns than non social animals but that doesn't mean socialization is somehow integrally related with intelligence or that the structures which evolved for social reasons couldn't be adapted for unrelated ones.

Sometimes the answer to "why doesn't this trend extend to something more universal" is just "because the underlying mechanism doesn't happen to work that way, why would you expect it to"?

As for why the most intelligent people are dispropotionately more antisocial I don't really know. Could be anything from being less distracted to having more of your brain devoted to structural reasoning to abnormality breeding isolation.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.