[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I ran across this problem in a test prep book (not homework):

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: h8zFh3X.jpg (96KB, 1080x867px) Image search: [Google]
h8zFh3X.jpg
96KB, 1080x867px
So I ran across this problem in a test prep book (not homework):

A man can drive 120 miles in either of two ways. Either he can travel at 40 mph the whole way, or he can do the first half at 50 mph and the second half at 30 mph.

I thought they would obviously take the same amount of time, because 50 and 30 average to 40. But the book says the second way takes longer, because of the following:

120 miles / 40 mph = 3 hours
60 miles / 50 mph = 1.2 hours
60 miles / 30 mph = 2 hours

Therefore the second method would take 3.2 hours. Those equations make sense, but I just can't understand how the two methods could possibly be different if the average speed is 40 mph for both (assuming no deceleration time). I know I'm dumb, but what's going on here?
>>
Because that's not average speed. Average speed is total distance divided by total time. Never get your average speed by adding up speeds and dividing them by n.
>>
>>8525382
Because speed is distance over time.
It becomes weighted if you try to average them.

If you want to average them correctly use the distance and time.

Also if I had a wood burning stove in my house I would want CO monitors.
>>
>>8525442
>>8525464

Oh okay, that makes sense. Thanks!
>>
>>8525382
>A man can drive 120 miles in either of two ways. Either he can travel at 40 mph the whole way, or he can do the first half at 50 mph and the second half at 30 mph.
awwwwww this is super cute baby's first algebra word problem. :) you have fun with that ;)
>>
>>8525541

Well as I said, this is for a test (the GRE) so desu I am indeed enjoying the fact that the math for it isn't difficult.
>>
>>8525382
If he spent half the _time_ going at 50, and the second half going at 30, it would take the same amount of time. But note that he'd cover 5/3 as much distance while going 50mph as he would at 30.

Is that the source of your intuitive confusion?
>>
>>8525541
To be honest most normal people would probably get this wrong or at least second guess themselves. It's pretty unintuitive.
>>
>>8525382
I think if it was for half the time and not half the distance it would work the way you thought
>>
>>8525541

Can you take your smug attitude out of here, you fag?

You're the cancer that is ruining this board.
>>
>>8525579
>>8525767
lets find out. call total time t:
x miles/50mph=t/2
y miles/30mph=t/2
x+y=120
x/50=y/30
x=5y/3
8y/3=120
y=45
t=2y/30=3 so yeah that's right.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.