[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Could Ice Harvesting have had an effect on global warming?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: Ice Harvesting.jpg (76KB, 560x303px) Image search: [Google]
Ice Harvesting.jpg
76KB, 560x303px
Could Ice Harvesting have had an effect on global warming?

If I remember right they sometimes went very far north and brought back tons and tons on ships correct?
>>
File: rememberthecant.jpg (85KB, 750x1000px) Image search: [Google]
rememberthecant.jpg
85KB, 750x1000px
>>8520266
Remember the Canterbury, anon, the ice trade isn't as safe as you'd think it is.
>>
>>8520266
absolutely none

The earth is a giant, almost-closed system, with energy coming in from the light from the sun and radiating out from the earth in the form of infrared light. The only way to change the temperature of the earth is to change how much energy is absorbed from the sun (reflect some of it back to space, for example) or to reduce the amount of infrared light radiating out (filling the atmosphere with certain gasses like methane or carbon dioxide, for example).

Moving around giant bits of hot and cold may have effects on the weather, but it will have absolutely no effect on the global mean temperature. This is why we are confident about climate predictions (because the system is, ultimately, very simple) and unconfident about weather predictions (not a closed system).
>>
>>8521061
Actually if you transport vast amounts of ice cover from the North Pole in the winter the ice would reflect sunlight at southern latitudes while the open surface in the winter darkness would emit a lot of thermal infrared radiation into space and also heat the atmosphere.

The local weather men alleged that reduced ice coverage over the North Pole one winter was the direct reason their weather forecasts for that winter had failed particularly spectacularly.
>>
>>8521061
Albedo of ice/snow ~ 0.9
Albedo of land ~ 0.2

4-5 times as much nigga, if that's no change what is it
>>
>>8522925
That stuff only matters when you start moving state-sized amounts if ice around. Fair point though.
>>
We should just bleach sahara desert. I wonder if it would be ever possible
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.