[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how would I go about solving this matrix equation with a non-square

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: Untitled-2.png (16KB, 207x76px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-2.png
16KB, 207x76px
how would I go about solving this matrix equation with a non-square matrix?

I can't find the inverse obviously so I can't just do X = A^-1 B
>>
>>8519805
Write matrix X with some arbitrary coefficients, then multiply the matrices on the left side and solve the system of equations
>>
First X must be a 2x3 matrix

3a+2d = 3
4a + 3d = 1
1a +0d = 7 => a= 7

keep solving from there.
>>
>>8519805
you might try

A x = B
A^t A x = A^t B
x = (A^t A)^(-1) A^t B
If there is an x that works, this will give it to you. You have to check that it works though.
>>
>>8519836
this is great, thanks

by X working you just mean that there is a solution, right?
>>
>>8519836
That's the fun way:D
>>
>>8519805
You're mistaken, it does have a left inverse.

[math]\begin{pmatrix} a^\top \\ b^\top \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix}u & v \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix} a^\top u & a^\top v \\ b^\top u & b^\top v\end{pmatrix} = I[/math]

You just need to find 2 other 3D vectors that are mutually orthonormal to these 2.
>>
>>8519838
I mean you have to take the x you get and check that Ax = B, i.e. plug it back in and check. This is because the implication in the math above doesn't go both ways
>>
>>8519805
The inverse of A exists, it's:
[math]\begin{pmatrix}3 & -2& 0 \\ -4 & 3 & 0\end{pmatrix}[/math]

Try it out. Left multiply and solve.
>>
>>8520779
there are infinitely many inverses tho. do all inverses give the same result?
>>
>>8520794
oh then parametrize the inverse then to get all the answers then maybe
>>
>>8520808
could try but I'm lazy.
doesn't matrix multiplication associativity assert that no matter what matrix you use, it will give the same result?
>>
>>8519805
this guy has the answer youre looking for>>8519823

Need me to just solve it for you?
>>
>>8519836

A=[3 2; 4 3; 1 0];
B=[3 9 7; 1 11 7; 7 5 7];
x=inv(A'*A)*A'*B
error=max(max(abs(A*x-B)))

gives

x =

7.0000 5.0000 7.0000
-9.0000 -3.0000 -7.0000

error = 4.4409e-14

It works.
>>
>>8519805
The system is over-determined (9 equations in 6 unknowns). Reduce it to 6 equations by discarding any one row from both matrices. Then you have A'.X=B' where A' is 2x2 and B' is 2x3. A' can be inverted, and you can just use X=A'^-1.B.

Multiplying the discarded row of A by X should then give you the discarded row of B. If it doesn't, the system is inconsistent (i.e. there is no matrix X satisfying the equation).
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.