[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

http://journals.aps.org/prl/abstrac t/10.1103/PhysRevLett.11

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: antitelephone RB.png (26KB, 690x500px) Image search: [Google]
antitelephone RB.png
26KB, 690x500px
http://journals.aps.org/prl/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevLett.115.260403
(excuse my lack of familiarity with physics nomenclature)
In the current version of this experiment (without the currently impossible pass-through measurement devices), physicists say that the light does not decide to be a particle or a wave until measured. But what happens if we somehow measure it before forcing it to be a particle or a wave? Will it always be a particle because there's no uncertainty at the point I've placed the measurement devices? If so, is there a way to introduce uncertainty?
Sorry if this is a dumb question.
>>
please respond
>>
>>8515029
What does "particle/wave detector" mean?

How does it detect? Is it a double slit?
>>
>>8515759
I have no idea how the detector that would allow it to pass through would work. As for the other detectors used in this experiment, the measurement devices at the end result in a similar pattern to the double slit when it's a wave, which is how they distinguish between wave and particle.
Let's say that for the purpose of this thought experiment, it uses the same mechanism but lets the particle pass through.
>>
>>8515772
So, I'm thinking about it. It looks like they're talking about the polarization of the light, not the position/momentum.

So these devices are measuring the polarization distribution.

So, presumably the beam splitter splits "x and y" polarization states. Say that it sends the x polarized light on the top half, and the y polarized light to the bottom half...

Then what you should get if you measure the photon where the purple thing is just x polarized light with uncertainty that corresponds to the properties of the splitter itself. (So a classical result).
So, at the point we measure
>>
>>8515029
It's not that light decides to be a particle or a wave. It's not a particle or a wave - light is light.
Light has properties that we interpret as wave-like and particle-like. That is, it behaves both, like we know from particles and from waves. And depending on how we measure it, how we look at it, or in other words, at which of its properties we look, it seems to be one of them.
>>
>>8515816
If you want to rephrase it as momentum/position,
Instead of talking about "x vs y" polarization states, you can think about "particles where i know the position vs particles where i know the momentum", and replace the measuring devices with double slits, and the experiment is essentially the same.
>>
>>8515873
Thank you for helping clear up what I meant
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.