[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So when I say "x is an element of the real numbers",

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: element of.png (52KB, 570x185px) Image search: [Google]
element of.png
52KB, 570x185px
So when I say "x is an element of the real numbers", could that mean that x could still be imaginary? Is it more appropriate to say that x is a subset of real numbers when I am saying that it isn't imaginary?
>>
All numbers are imaginary
>>
File: 1480491720715.jpg (71KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
1480491720715.jpg
71KB, 960x540px
>>8513675
THIS ISN'T FUNNY.
>>
>>8513671
>could that mean that x could still be imaginary
Why? Your reasoning isn't at all clear here.
>>
>>8513671
It depends what you mean by imaginary you arent using that word properly here. If by imaginary you mean complex numbers that arent real then by definition no it cant be real and imaginary at the same time, but all real numbers are complex numbers with an "imaginary part" of 0.
>>
>>8513671
No, x wouldn't be defined as imaginary in the normal sense of word. For any number x, a + bi, where a and b are real numbers. Generally, numbers defined as being an element of the reals have b=0. An imaginary number must have b=/= 0. So, x wouldn't be imaginary if it was an element of the reals. But, x would still be an element of the complex numbers, just one of the form a + 0i, i.e., one on the real number line in the imaginary plane.
>>
>>8513671
Zero is an imaginary number.
>>
>>8514157
fair enough
>>
>>8513671
element = 1
subset = could be one number , many numbers or no numbers
>>
>>8513671
[math]x[/math] cannot be an element of real numbers and an element of imaginary numbers as those two sets are disjoint. Also, it would be more correct to say the set containing [math]x[/math] is a subset of the set of real numbers.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.