[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the most mathematical programming language? I think

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

What's the most mathematical programming language?
I think it's Haskell.
Prolog for logicians.
>>
Maybe Python
>>
>>8510556
this

haskell is for failed mathematicians and failed programmers
prolog is long ded
matlab is for dying professors

python is the future

scipy tensorflow theano pandas matplotlib sklearn keras skimage etc

can't fight the power. rip everyone else

besides R which beats python in data visualisation
>>
File: Blue_Soundmatrix.jpg (510KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Blue_Soundmatrix.jpg
510KB, 1920x1080px
>>8510569
OP's "mathematical programming language" is super vague, but I'm pretty sure he didn't intended it to mean the language most practical or useful to do some work that involves some stuff labeled math. Like statistics with the pandas package.

One could argue that (assuming I'm right about what OP meant) a "mathematical programming language" is one that has semantics within a common setting taught and/or understood by mathematicans.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semantics_(computer_science)

Then he goes on mentioning Haskell. Historically, Haskell was cooked up by American CS people in the 80's because they wanted to research the lazy paradigm and couldn't get the right to...I think to the ML language.
As opposed to Haskell, ML actually has formal semantics, I think
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_ML
>>
>What's the most mathematical programming language?

no idea what you mean with mathematical programming language but I guess you are talking about functional programming paradigm.

If that is the case, then yeah haskell,lisp and python i descending order are the most functional (and widely known).
>>
R
>>
>>8510569
Agreed
>>
>>8510595
>If that is the case, then yeah haskell,lisp and python i descending order are the most functional (and widely known).
you're a retard
>>
>>8510569
It's simply fun to have another approach to problems. A lot of programms requires tricks- that implies thinking maybe that's not for you- and it's rather really different than other languages.

Also, python is not the future. It has a really low computing power. It's becoming popular because it's baby's first programming language.
>>
>>8510846
>future
>caring about computing power
also most of the computation is done in C, pyhton just acts as an interface bye
>>
>>8510569
Someone needs to fucking document matplotlib properly
>>
>>8510588
Haskell's history is somewhat more complicated than that. It's also not that clear cut given that Haskell is a proper (pure) functional language while ML is not.

The way I interpreted OP was that he was referring to languages that mathematicians would use to do their work. As in a language that you can formalize theorems in. In this sense it would have to be one of the theorem proving formal languages, Agda, Coq, Idris, Lean, etc.. Basically a language with dependent types and a well designed type system.

>>8510569
>>8510556
>>8510598
pleb tier, pls kill yourself
>>
>>8510890
lmao all mathematicians use either matlab or python kys pretentious faggot
>>
>>8510890
>theorem proving programming languages (theorem provers),
fixed

not sure why I threw the word formal into that sentence.
>>
>>8510896
cause you weren't sure if it was pretentious enough
>>
>>8510895
>proving theorems with matlab or python
many keks

gtfo applied math science slave
>>
>>8510898
>all mathematicians ever do is prove theorems
bitch no one uses your shitty languages
>>
>>8510901
>A mathematician's job is to do a scientist's job.
bitch mathematicians who aren't involved in theorem proving based research aren't really doing mathematics anymore

Those languages are all still prototypes on the path to a future language, adoption isn't meant to be widespread.
>>
>>8510906
>Those languages are all still prototypes on the path to a future language
lel. mathematicians can't code and they will never attract talent for developing real compiler. octave couldn't attract real compiler designers and developers so their compiler is still a joke. keep lying to yourself that there's a "future language". there's no future. it'll become a thing when HURD has an official release

also applied mathematics is also mathematics. get mad
>>
>>8510910
>thinks octave is a mathematical language or in any way related to dependantly typed languages
lol how embarrassing for you
>>
>not mentioning GAP (http://www.gap-system.org/) for Algebra
Stay pleb fucking shit tier mathematicians, someday you'll learn
>>
>>8510920
i didn't say that fuck off with your shit reading comprehension and stop (you)-ing me with your retarded posts
>>
>>8510890
>R
>pleb tier
>the language all professional statisticians use for research
>>
>>8510931
pick all
>>
File: bitch nigga keep crying.jpg (41KB, 388x384px) Image search: [Google]
bitch nigga keep crying.jpg
41KB, 388x384px
>>8510923
see pic

>>8510931
>statisticians prove theorems and aren't just slaves to the sciences
Don't make me laff, they're no more mathematicians than actuaries.
>>
File: d73ns1n.png (32KB, 672x397px) Image search: [Google]
d73ns1n.png
32KB, 672x397px
>>8510545

> 'most mathematical'
> it said Haskell
> my editor when
>>
C
>>
SetL lol
>>
>>8511471
This.

If you absolutely have to get your hands dirty, might as well go all the way.
>>
APL
life←{↑1 ⍵∨.∧3 4=+/,¯1 0 1∘.⊖¯1 0 1∘.⌽⊂⍵}
>>
Visual Basic :^)
>>
>>8511917
>>8510545

most mathematical == most lowlevel?

I think the important difference is : represent maybe advanced maths (as good as can) vs. number crunching.

If number crunching, then yes, C, R, maybe even Fortran, still seems to be deep in business for some stuff.

>>8511413
>>8511952

This on the other hand looks interesting
>>
>>8510545
How can I learn Haskell?
>>
>>8512198
Bumping. Any good resource? Apart from - Learn you Haskell.
>>
>>8510569
>forgetting Sage
>>
>>8512206

look up 'real world haskell'
>>
>>8512216
I will, thanks dude.
>>
>>8512206
I used an older version of this course along with LYH
https://www.seas.upenn.edu/~cis194/fall16/
>>
>>8511413
Go to bed, Joseph.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.