[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How would one calculate a country's area with the curvature

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: russia.jpg (86KB, 500x252px) Image search: [Google]
russia.jpg
86KB, 500x252px
How would one calculate a country's area with the curvature of the earth taken into account?

pic related, an example
>>
God damn Russia is huge.
>>
>>8509888
>Russia

Ah, another Kremlin troll spreading fake news.
>>
>>8509888
Well, there are several ways. But trigonometry is the best one. You just measure small triangles and compute their area. Then just add the areas of the triangles together.

P.S.
Yes, I know that Earth is a sphere. However, for small triangles, it does not matter. If you want to know the margin of error, learn some manifold topology.
>>
>>8509888
It's easy to calculate the surface of a sphere, given its radious. Simply take away the area of all the other coutries+the oceans and what's remaining is Russia.
>>
File: Steradian.svg.png (297KB, 1920x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Steradian.svg.png
297KB, 1920x1920px
Actually the closest way is probably to figure out the approximate solid angle subtended by the country (in steradians), then multiply by r^2. Figuring out the solid angle might be heard in itself though, but taking advantage of latitude and longitude markings can help.
>>
>>8510088
>might be heard
Meant hard*
>>
>>8509888
calculus
>>
>>8510088
That is quite complicated, and very rarely used. The reason is that small angles are incredibly difficult to measure. While big angles lead you to neglect a large part of the surface area.
Now, yes, there are formulas for calculating triangles on spheres, but they are complicated.
>>
measure distance east-west at the north-south center, call this width
multiply by the mean north-south height
rough area estimate
>>
>>8509888
just google "area size of russia"
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.