[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the main differences between Electrical and Computer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 2010COEHorzLogo[1].gif (9KB, 400x120px) Image search: [Google]
2010COEHorzLogo[1].gif
9KB, 400x120px
What are the main differences between Electrical and Computer engineering?

I know EE uses a fuckton more calculus, and CMPE a fuckton more programming. But how else are they different and how are their career prospects in the far future?

t. concerned 2nd year university student who has to decide at the end of this semester which major to branch to

pic related, my school
>>
>>8507299
Actually at any respectable place they use the same amount of calculus, in fact CE uses broader math.

They usually differ in their focus. More specialized classes and later specializations are more computer/programming/embedded systems related for CE.
>>
Bumping for this. Sci .. I want to hear your opinions.
>>
As the other person said CE is more computers/programming/embedded systems for later courses and EE has more power, EM, communications, etc.

At my university there are about 8 different specializations for EE undergrad. It is a very broad field and can lead to many different types of jobs.

For career prospects if you live in the US check bls. If you can't really decide I would choose EE as CE is just a subset of it.
>>
>>8507684
Also it is easier to get a CE job as an EE than vice versa.
>>
>>8507299
They are similar up to the last year

>1st year
C++/C Coding class
C++/C Data Structures and Algorithm
Vector Calculus
Matrix Algebra
Ordinary Differential Equations
Physics I&II
Chem I&II

>2nd year
PDEs, Complex Variables, or Advanced Engineering Mathematics [which is half of each]
Probability and Random Processes
Numerical Analysis
Signal and System Analysis
Circuits
Physics III
Digital Logic
Computer Architecture

>3rd year
Electronics Devices and Circuits
Communication Systems
Digital Signal Processing
[if CE or ECE] Discrete Math with Coding and Information Theory
[if EE or ECE] Control Theory
[if EE] Electromagnetics
[if CE] Operation Systems
[if CE] Digital System Design
[if CE] Embedded Systems

>4th year
Capstone
[if you're unlucky] Ethics

>Electives [for CE]:
Compilers
Computer Vision
Computer Graphics
VLSI Design
Networks
Cryptography
Reverse Engineering
Information Theory
Linear/Convex/Nonlinear Optimization
Distributed Computing
etc

>Electives [for EE]:
Analog Electronics
Power Electronics
RF/Microwave Engineering
Antennas
Radar Engineering
Power Systems
Electric Machinery
Semiconductor Device Physics
VLSI Design
Photonics/Optics
Wireless Communications
Mechtronics/Robotics
>>
>>8507690
that will probably change because Trump got elected

what I mean is that with the Electrical Engineering field being full of really old guys who are going to retire very soon, there will be many positions open. In a "normal" situation, a very significant amount of those positions would be replaced by Indians and East Asians who work on the cheap, using H-1B visas. Now if Trump didn't get elected then H-1Bs would continue as normal and companies could do this a lot. However because we live in a meme timeline where a bunch of shit thought normally highly improbable gets put into reality (as major examples for America, the Cubs won the WS and Trump got elected), Trump is (almost assuredly) going to restrict H-1Bs in some way, I can't remember the exact policy because I am pretty sure he flip-flopped and then flipped back, but I do know that he is against the rampant abuse of them.

This will of course also help CEs but it will make it so its significantly easier to find EE jobs.
>>
>>8507299
These:

>>8507424
>>8507684

CE probably gives the basics in a broader sense (more programming, theory, computer stuff), but if you want to compete with a pure CS or EE guy then you need to learn more on your own.
It's still good if you're up for it (interested in it) and you can handle it.

If not then EE if you want hardware and more physics. CS if you want software, theory and math only.

This looks fairly ok: >>8507697
There might be differences.

I'm in Europe now and here what's called CE essentially also has Analog Electronics, Control Theory, Robotics and Mechatronics classes.
However that list still kinda shows the differences, for example computer graphics, comp. vision, networks, etc. are spot on.
CE focuses on computers, software is heavily included and you solve a lot of problems in software.

It can vary (a lot) depending on the place.
>>
>>8507712
>Most of them had no functional programming experience either

And why should they bother with lisp?

>were absolutely terrible at programming

Because that's not their interest.
>>
>>8507719

>And why should they bother with lisp?

FP is the future mayn. And c'mon, 50-year-old Lisp?
>>
>>8507722
>Math majors always win in graduate school; a strong mathematical foundation trumps any applied knowledge and I wish I had majored in math (although physics was okay in that regard).
I'm a CE and I can agree with the math part. If OP >>8507299 wants to do neat shit then math and math and math. CS like classes usually also broaden your knowledge about math.

Anyway learning as much math as you can (doing competitions, lot of programming competitions also rely on math in some forms, is good.)

However I don't necessarily agree with the major in math part. I think it depends a lot on the interests of the person and how can he or she pick up math on his own.

Plus you can always take the interesting classes and if you can open a book and start doing exercises then most likely you will overcome almost any obstacle.

On the other hand I can certainly understand your pov. I also wish I could take more math classes and maybe some kind of math degree as a second degree to broaden my knowledge would be good in the future.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.