[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I would like to know what books of fiction do you guys (especially

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: Justice-Lifts.jpg (126KB, 1033x1099px) Image search: [Google]
Justice-Lifts.jpg
126KB, 1033x1099px
I would like to know what books of fiction do you guys (especially the ones who are studying physics and mathematics) find interesting.

In fiction, for example, are there books that you appreciate because of:

a) A beautiful language, some form of beauty manifested in words (Shakespeare’s plays, for example)

b) Interesting plots or compelling stories (like the mystery books of Raymond Chandler).

c) Great characters (like the works of Tolstoy).

Also, when it comes dow to philosophy, we know that many branches of it have evolved into modern science, and that huge portions of works from the past, whatever the beauties of their language, are now obsolete when it comes down to knowing the truth about the universe. Yet there are some fields of philosophy that might still be relevant today, like:

a) Ethics

b) Politics

>So, what books do you like to read? What philosophical texts do you recommend?
>>
>>8502594
>I would like to know what books of fiction do you guys (especially the ones who are studying physics and mathematics) find interesting.

massamune shirow has some interesting plots
>>
>>8502594
I read a lot of Agatha Christie.
Have read a lot of non-trash also, but she's my favourite.
>>
>>8502594

bump
>>
>>8502594
I read for the plot.

I like moral philosophy but not philosophy in general. I don't have a favorite philosophy text.

Favorite books are 100 Years of Solitude, East of Eden, and Notes from the Underground.
>>
>>8502594

I love:

>Lolita
>Memoirs of Hadrian
>War and Peace
>Anna Karênina
>The short-stories of Tolstoy
>The short stories of Chekhov

For me Shakespeare is the greatest poet of all time. My favorite plays of his are:

>Hamlet
>Macbeth
>Othello
>King Lear
>Henry IV parts 1 and 2
>A Midssumer Night Dream
>The Tempest

I also love the poetry of Pablo Neruda and the small production of war poems written by Wilfred Owen. His "Dulce et Decorum Est" is one of my favorite poems of all time.

As for philosophy I like Montaigne and Epicurus

>>8503207
>100 Years of Solitude

love this

>>8503207
>East of Eden

Currently reading this. Is good, it has some poetic excerpts, but to me the characters are artificial and mot very well developed. reading Tolstoy after Steinbeck makes the last one seem even childish.
>>
>>8503288
>Is good, it has some poetic excerpts, but to me the characters are artificial and mot very well developed. reading Tolstoy after Steinbeck makes the last one seem even childish.

I don't like Tolstoy, his characters are too alien to me. I like Steinbeck's books because they are set in California.
>>
>>8503359
>I don't like Tolstoy, his characters are too alien to me.

But anon, human beings are usually, in their core and psychological trunk, the very same in all places of the world and at all times and ages. Questions such as love, fear, admiration, envy, anger, jealousy, ambition, confusion, willpower, weakness, love, sexual desire, etc., are present everywhere in the world, at all times.

The characters of Tolstoy are like you and me, they are like the people around us. You can trust me: reading his work is going to be extremely enjoyable.
>>
>>8504233
>The characters of Tolstoy are like you and me, they are like the people around us. You can trust me: reading his work is going to be extremely enjoyable.
If you have a warped view of the world everything will come off as alien. And I have read 3 of Tolstoy's novels and some of his short stories, he really isn't for me.
>>
Going by the number of books I've read by them, it seems that my top three favorite authors are:
>Kurt Vonnegut
>Isaac Asimov
>Philip K. Dick

The last boom I read and really enjoyed was Oryx and Crake.
>>
>>8504524
>>Kurt Vonnegut

Love a poem he wrote in a shor-story (where it is supossed to have been written by a computer, a great A.I. machine):

Love is a hawk with velvet claws
Love is a rock with heart and veins
Love is a lion with satin jaws
Love is a storm with silken reins

Loved those bold metaphors.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.