[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

debate this (you can't) can you indefinitely cut up a cake

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: CAKII.jpg (49KB, 500x454px) Image search: [Google]
CAKII.jpg
49KB, 500x454px
debate this (you can't)

can you indefinitely cut up a cake into smaller and smaller pieces? of course you can't. you're limited by the precision of your tool. i'm not even talking about the knife, i'm talking about your inability to see molecules with your eyes. no matter how potentially precise the cuts are that you could technically make, you won't ever make them if you don't know where they are to be made.
>>
>>8501345
dont you get it? hes trying to prove that calculus isnt real
>>
>>8501338
>>8501338 (OP)
Guess what?
>What?

Firstly, the cake only has an finite amount of matter, so no, you cannot 'cut it indefinitely'.

Secondly, humans only have a finite lifespan of amount eighty years. So, even IF you could cut the cut an infinite amount of times, YOU could only cut it a finite amount of times in those years leading up until your death.

Thirdly, you don't need to worry, because it is impossible and therefore, your thread is nothing more than a moot point.

/thread
>OP BTFO.
>>
>>8501338
Yes, matter is discrete. What's your point?
>>
File: squidwerd.gif (124KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
squidwerd.gif
124KB, 300x300px
>>8501338
A very interesting shitpost indeed.
>>
ok but this you really can't debate

i'm walking from A to B. each of my steps will be half as long as the previous step. the starting step will be of length 1. you'd think that i would never ever make it. however in doing so, you would be wrong because there is a lower limit to a human step, a minimum step so to speak. to simplify a little, if we assume that we move by pumping blood into the muscles, then we can't ever pump less than 1 blood molecule into the muscles. the same is true for every other kind of fuel-based action of course.
>>
>>8501401
xeno, can you please go away.
>>
>>8501338
If you cut up your cake enough eventually you will have two cakes.
>>
>>8501338
>inability to see molecules
I can see them, they're just fucking huge

>cutting molecules
eventually you're going to start cutting things that can't be cut

Why the fuck is this post even here? I don't understand what you're trying to accomplish
>>
>>8501338
Well if you freeze the cake solid then you can cut it into sections 50 nm thick with a microtome:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microtome

>>you won't ever make them if you don't know where they are to be made.
So if we use a microtome, we can slice the cake in planar layers, advancing 50 nm at a time. The human using the microtome can stop counting the layers made and not know where they are making the cut, but still make the cut.

We can then slice these slices even more. But fuck that, since we're reducing our cake to atoms anyway, let's just turn it into a plasma.

Once it's a plasma we can can build ever increasing particle accelerators and break the cake plasma to ever tinier bits. Of course we'll eventually hit the planck scale, but this should take sufficiently long as to be considered indefinite.
>>
>>8501338
>can you indefinitely cut up a cake into smaller and smaller pieces?

No, you would eventually be cutting atoms in half.

And then it would no longer be cake.
>>
>>8501447
even if it is true, you're supposed to argue that none of this is true. as an exercise to deepen your understanding of the subject.
>>
>>8501338
yes, if one has an infinitely large cake and is immortal.
>>
>>8501457
Clearly this is the best answer. If your cake is infinitely large, you can cut it indefinitely AND your slices could still be macroscopic/conceptually cake.
>>
File: wellplayed.gif (1MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
wellplayed.gif
1MB, 320x240px
>>8501355
While it is gauche to /thread your own post, this answer is conclusive and OP is indeed BTFO
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.