[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I get some fucking discipline? I'm a graduate student

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: flat,1000x1000,075,f.u1.jpg (114KB, 750x1000px) Image search: [Google]
flat,1000x1000,075,f.u1.jpg
114KB, 750x1000px
How do I get some fucking discipline? I'm a graduate student now but I've always just fucked about and miraculously it worked out. But now I'm just getting fucked up because I have difficulty applying myself. How to I teach myself to be disciplined instead of being a stumbling cunt?
>>
Fellow grad with no discipline whatsoever. Have just been lucky enough my intelligence has made up for my laziness. Now I find myself a 23 y/o student who isn't even disciplined enough to eat good food.
>>
>>8501134
Amen, I will never make it.
>>
>>8501134
Lol, You've just reminded me I have a pizza in the freezer I shouldn't be eating.
>>
>>8501130
>How to I teach myself to be disciplined instead of being a stumbling cunt?
What, precisely, do you want to accomplish? Figure out some goals, or a general direction for your life. That'll get you further than wondering vaguely how to "get disciplined." Discipline means you are consistently doing some particular thing that you believe is important/good.
>>
File: pepe3.jpg (26KB, 500x585px) Image search: [Google]
pepe3.jpg
26KB, 500x585px
>>8501134
>Now I find myself a 23 y/o student who isn't even disciplined enough to eat good food.
tfw this is literally me
>>
Stop thinking about it so much.

Every time you think about doing something and decide not it makes it harder to decide to do it. Sure you might have really good and logical reasons for not doing it right now. It might be impossible at this moment. Maybe you're thinking about doing something in the future, or maybe you're not home so it's impossible, or any number of REALLY good valid excuses. But all these good reasons are just making it harder to say yes later on. So stop thinking about it. Stop thinking about deciding NOT to do something. Just don't think about it and do it. Don't think about it at all until you're in a position to actually do shit then make your decision.
>>
>>8501130
You use reason, same with any problem. What is the problem? There is a gap between what you want to do, and what you actually do. How the hell is this possible? It's because a bunch of subconscious garbage and habits is interfering with this. What you need to do is fully convince yourself to do something 100%, so the other nonsense doesn't have a chance of getting in the way.

You do this by writing an argument to yourself on paper or on a word processor. Write down what you want to do. Now, construct an argument for why you should do this, being honest with yourself and listing any objections or alternatives you think or feel (I'd rather browse 4chan, it will be boring, etc) and arguing against those. Write down your hypothesis for how you will feel after. Keep on arguing until you are 100% convinced, at which point you proceed to do what you have planned to do with no intertia.

When you are finished with your task go back to the journal and write your results. You acted exactly according to your intention, having exercised discipline, so you logically must feel accomplished and self-empowered. Use this as emotional currency to write down something else you want to do, argue for it, and do another task. If you can't do something immediately set an exact time to do it using a cell phone timer. If you fail to do something, go back to your notebook and explore why, noting that you have still succeeded by going back to your notebook and trying to solve the problem the best you can. As long as you maintain the process there is no failure.

Continue this in a scheduled, structured chain over two months, which is the amount of time for something to become a firm habit. Along the way you'll develop a more structured, scheduled day, making time your bitch. It only gets easier as you progress, similar to weight training; think of this as exercise for your willpower.
>>
How do you make it to grad school without discipline? I bet you are just exaggerating. Like you think that studying less than 8 hours a day is lazy. You would need genius tier intelligence to get a STEM degree without any discipline.
>>
>>8501175
Low standards for the university or school? Many graduate programmes only require a 2.1, and that even that gets waved for Master's programmes. Undergrad math in particular is very forgiving coursework-wise.
>>
Is it true that you don't even have to complete a M.Sc. for graduate programmes?
Is US education a joke?
>>
>>8501307
A MSc is a graduate programme. I'm not American but you don't need one to enter a PhD programme, I would say it's pretty normal for people to go on straight from undergrad given enough extracurricular stuff or a decent final year thesis.
>>
>>8501130
>>8501134
Damn, literally me
>>
Work a rough neck job until you break, then better it.

Fucked up and ended up having to do it. Wish I was at this stage mentally before I started uni and got stuck in a NEET cycle.

Can't go back, but if I knew what I knew now, and had the grit I've gained through years soul crushing menial shit, I'd be away laughing.

I'm old, stuck, but at least answered the questions that irked me and held me back. Wish I had someone who wasn't naive to give me the critical advice and perspective, or wasn't sheltered as I was as a kid.

If anyone has kids, don't shelter them. It's weak on behalf of the parents, and fucks kids up for life. It would be less cruel to just beat them
>>
>>8501172
>>
>>8501729
man middle class people of the boomer generation are the literal worst advice givers of all time

bourg enough to not give a fuck, but too lazy to move up
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.