[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

About quarternions. Everything I see written about the subject

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 1480020638116.jpg (180KB, 517x768px) Image search: [Google]
1480020638116.jpg
180KB, 517x768px
About quarternions.

Everything I see written about the subject of quarternions says that for

Q = A + Bi + Cj + Dk

has the condition that

i^2 = j^2 = k^2 = ijk = -1

How can this be true that ijk = -1?

If i = sqrt (-1) and j = sqrt (-1) and k = sqrt (-1)

Then

Ijk = sqrt (-1)*sqrt (-1)*sqrt (-1)

That does not equal -1.

Is this 19th century trolling?
>>
>>8499029

Don't bother learning quaternions, they are useless. Litterally. Absolute garbages. The most useless field in maths.
>>
>If i = sqrt (-1) and j = sqrt (-1) and k = sqrt (-1)

Thats your problem right there. The condition i^2 = j^2 = k^2 = ijk = -1 is strong, thats how that quarternion units are defined, similar to how the i is defined with i^2 = -1, or some equivalent form, with the complex numbers.
>>
>>8499037

Use matrix.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Quaternion.html
>>
>>8499037

Yeah, but with complex numbers, the statement,
i = sqrt (-1) is used with no contradiction.

Is this not correct?

Then if sqrt (i^2) does not equal i or sqrt (-1), what does it equal to?
>>
>>8499029
>If i = sqrt (-1) and j = sqrt (-1) and k = sqrt (-1)
wat

learn to logic please
>>
>>8499029
With real numbers, x^2=1 => x=1 or x=-1.
With complex numbers, x^2=-1 => x=i or x=-i.
With quaternions, x^2=-1 => x=i or x=j or x=k or x=-i or x=-j or x=-k.

It's worse with matrices. M.M=I typically has infinitely many solutions, i.e. the identity matrix has infinitely many square roots. E.g. for 3x3 matrices, a rotation of 180 degrees about any axis is a (positive-determinant) square root of the identity matrix, while a reflection in any plane is a (negative-determinant) square root of the identity matrix.

Similarly for nth roots; e.g. a rotation of 360/n degrees about any axis is an nth root of the identity matrix.
>>
>>8499056
It doesnt equal shit because in quarternions the units are not scalars so theres no such thing as a square root and squaring one of their units is actually matrix multiplication. i = sqrt(-1) in complex numbers is just a convention adopted for solving equations. i is more formally described as a ordered pair, and "squaring it" results in another ordered pair which has many of the properties of -1 that we would like to have but is still not exactly -1. For example the set of all numbers (x,0) in R^2 is not the same thing as R. It is clearly related to R, but it is not the same, for example R is open in itself, but this described set does not even have an interior in R^2.
>>
>>8499067

What is wrong with this?
>>
>>8499056
>Then if sqrt (i^2) does not equal i or sqrt (-1), what does it equal to?
The problem you are having with quaternions has its root at the non-commutatitivy of the product.

Because multiplication does not commute (for example i*j=-j*i), definition of the square root is not so easy. In particular, z^2=-1 has not two (like in complex numbers), but infinitely many solutions (every number of the form b*i+c*j+d*k with b^2+c^2+d^2=1 is a solution).
>>
>>8499073
You assumed just because j*j = -1 that j is exactly the same as i. Thats not how quarternions work. It assumes that -1 has a unique "root" in the quarternions. By construction this is emphatically not true.
>>
>>8499073
first of all it's not provable
>>
>>8499029
It's true that i, j and k are square roots of -1, but that doesn't mean that sqrt(-1) * sqrt(-1) != sqrt(1) = 1. It makes no sense to calculate like that.
>>
>>8499035
They are used to program gaymen
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.