[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do so many people just cram and then forget material in early

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 1476515880270.jpg (53KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1476515880270.jpg
53KB, 600x450px
Why do so many people just cram and then forget material in early level mathematics like algebra? These are always the ones who end up having trouble in calc courses.
>>
>>8498848
Cuz they didnt side with the Vaegirs, m8. Perfect mixture of brains n balls.
>>
here there be brainlets
>>
Maybe some people are truly retarded but hardworking.
>>
They usually either had parents who didn't care what they learned as long as they got good grades or teachers who couldn't properly motivate the material. I was one of those people until my senior year calc class when I lucked out and got the teacher who would more or less change my life and make me want to major in math.
>>
>>8498876
How did he do it anon?
>>
>>8498848
I never really crammed for early level math except for pre calc when my teacher decided to skip the unit circle and try to teach us a "trick" he used to never have to use it, so now I don't know the unit circle, or the trick for that matter since it was autistic. Since I didn't have the unit circle back then I didn't grasp trig like I should have before college so now I'm stuck memorizing identities until they finally stick and I know them for sure if that makes sense. Either way, they probably had incredibly incompetent teachers who tried to cut corners in their curriculum. A teacher cutting corners in early courses is tantamount to the engineer who cut corners while designing a building, it'll be fine for a little bit but eventually it'll crash down on the people who it was meant to assist.
>>
>>8498876
this. Thanks to Sal Khan I quit my job and became a physicist desu.
>>
>>8498980
awesome
>>
>>8498959
It was a she, and she basically did it by making us realize that math isn't just a bunch of hand waving magic. Every other math teacher I had focused on drilling examples over and over again until it was reduced to rote memorization of formulae and patterns but she was intent on showing us why and how those formulae and patterns worked. And she was genuinely enthralled if we "discovered" something before she formally taught it, which always felt nice. For what it's worth, I'm American and she was Eastern European so maybe that had something to do with it.
>>8498971
You really only need to learn like four or five points on the unit circle to learn the whole thing.
>>
Bad foundation/don't know how to learn
>>
>>8498848
in the UK, high school maths is essentially only taught a tool for science or statistics, and unfortunately, that mindset of only looking things up when you need them, as opposed to understanding them, can follow people into higher education

i bet the rhodoks are to blame
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.