[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Have you ever hear that story that your body has completely different

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: 1344029255055.jpg (27KB, 443x600px) Image search: [Google]
1344029255055.jpg
27KB, 443x600px
Have you ever hear that story that your body has completely different cells or atoms (depending on the story) every 7 years? That they recycle and so on. People use this as some analogy on why life can be different in self-help books and so on, but disregard that.

I don't think it comes from scientific sources at all (am I wrong?), but I also think it doesn't make much sense in any case. Is there a way to calculate that kind of volatile behaviour? I mean, I create and excrete new cells everyday, fluids flow, minerals move, and so on. But it's not as simple as that as I regenerate this and that material, or that cells take place of another in an organic way. At the level of the atomic, there is no such individuality that can be perceived. Electrons are not balls, but fields of possibilities, right? In that sense, an atom exchanging electrons with another atom and therefore changing themselves cannot be called to be the same or different from the ones before. They didn't go away or entered your body at all.

If I put a glass of water on a table, I can observe it drying out over the days, therefore water molecules escape the glass and fly away. However, can I even say that the exact same atoms will be there throughout the whole time until it dries?

Does it make sense?
>>
File: 10103.jpg (370KB, 1280x1707px) Image search: [Google]
10103.jpg
370KB, 1280x1707px
Mmm, pancakes.
>>
So what happens if you upload your mind to a computer? Does your consciousness transfer over or is it copied and you're killed on the human end?
>>
>>8496285
Your subjective experience does not carry over to a copy of your brain
>>
>>8496222
Don't cells have a natural lifespan? Just take whichever kind of cell lives the longest and in that amount of time all cells must have been replaced.
>>
File: 1479658887067.jpg (75KB, 604x453px) Image search: [Google]
1479658887067.jpg
75KB, 604x453px
>>8496285

I feel that if it's a gradual upload e.g. slowly replacing parts of your brain with an artificial substitute totally compatible with your senses - until there is no biology left - then your consciousness is transferred "intact".

If you just upload your mind into a computer in one go I think it would be a copy/paste job rather than true transferral of consciousnesses and there would be two of "you".
>>
>>8496308
Do you think mechanical neurons would do the job if someone wanted to turn into an android and live forever?
>>
>>8496308
>>8496285
>>8496298
>>8496318
Consciousness is not rational thought, it's not a neurological phenomenon. A fireman considers a person conscious when the person can respond when called for. That's a very simple input-output scenario that seems to attract people into thinking consciousness sums up to that. In that sense, you would "ask" a computer and it would "respond" like a person, therefore being conscious, therefore being something you can study like you would study neurological stimulation.

But consciousness is not thought or feeling. As far as you know for sure, the only thing conscious is yourself, because you cannot "shake off" this camera you have in your head, you cannot experience life from another point of view. You look at another person and that person acts like you, has a body like yours and their brains seems to work in the very same way. But in spite of that similarity, you don't accidentally become someone else. You cannot study the letting go of someone else's consciousness when that person dies, because all you'll see is the end of that input-output you were expected and that brought you enough empathy for you to consider that person conscious. To think you can transfer or emulate consciousness to a computer is ridiculous, at least for now, as you have learn nothing of consciousness by studying the brain or the body or computers. I'm not saying it's religious or anything, just that consciousness is an element that is one of a kind, it cannot be tested with anyone but yourself. You don't know if other people are conscious now and you won't know if they cease to be conscious if this or that happen to them.

This is all a wordplay for people to believe they can "wake up" as computers one day. I won't risk it off, but if that is possible, then it is just as possible for you to "wake up" as a cloud bursting in thunder, or a piece of rock in its a journey of a billion years, in other words, any set that has a cause and an effect to it.
>>
>>8496229
UUUUGGGHHHHH THICKER
>>
>>8496222
Holy fuck you non-med plebs..

Skin < month
Red blood cells < 5 months
White blood cells about a year
Brain/neurons = until you die (they can not be replaced)

And consciousness is a direct result of a physical brain. If you duplicate that brain exactly - organic or non-organic - it will possess the same consciousness / memories / tenancy to smell your hand after you scratch your balls.
>>
>>8496318
It's possible. There would have have to be some extremely fine tuning but I can see it working.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.