[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My boyfriend insists this can't be solved without integrals.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: notsureifsolvable.png (40KB, 1836x580px) Image search: [Google]
notsureifsolvable.png
40KB, 1836x580px
My boyfriend insists this can't be solved without integrals.

I'll have to bottom for a month if I won't be able to solve it.

Assistance would be greatly appreciated.
>>
File: 1410826043235.jpg (11KB, 251x242px) Image search: [Google]
1410826043235.jpg
11KB, 251x242px
>not enjoying bottoming
Also, putting arbitrary constraints on a problem instead of designing a better problem shouldn't be allowed.
>>
>not enjoying bottoming
faux faggot spotted
>>
if you assume that the situation is very poisson-y then you can model it as a queue with 10 servers, all currently busy and one customer currently in the queue.

look up M/M/1 queues and you'll probably find all the formulas you could possibly want already worked out by engineers
>>
>>8493817
This seems like a thinly-veiled homework thread (in which case you should at least post in the /sqt/ on this board). I'll share my answer anyways.
Consider [math]n[/math] uniform random variables [math]X_i \in \{1,\hdots,k\}[/math].
We want
[eqn]\mathbb{E}\left[\min_{1 \leq i \leq n}\{X_i\}\right].[/eqn]
Well,
[eqn]\mathbb{P}\left(\min_{1 \leq i \leq n}\{X_i\} = 1\right) = 1 - \left(\frac{k-1}{k}\right)^n,[/eqn]
[eqn]\mathbb{P}\left(\min_{1 \leq i \leq n}\{X_i\} = 2\right) = \frac{(k-1)^n - (k-2)^n}{k^n},[/eqn]
and in general,
[eqn]\mathbb{P}\left(\min_{1 \leq i \leq n}\{X_i\} = j\right) = \frac{(k-j+1)^n - (k-j)^n}{k^n}.[/eqn]
We have [math]k[/math] possible outcomes, so we assign a weight to these probabilities, sum them up, and divide by [math]k[/math].
That is,
[eqn]\mathbb{E}\left[\min_{1 \leq i \leq n}\{X_i\}\right] = \frac{1}{k}\sum_{j=1}^{k}j\cdot\frac{(k-j+1)^n - (k-j)^n}{k^n}.[/eqn]
Plug in 10 and 75 for [math]n[/math] and [math]k[/math], respectively, and you should have your answer.
>>
>>8493893
Sorry, don't divide by [math]k[/math]!
>>
I dont remember how to do this shit but you can use the average time to the parameters of the poisson distribution of the tables becoming available
>>
>>8493893
>>8493909
Ignore this post - it answers a different question than the one posed by the OP. Namely,
"Given 10 tables, all occupied and each with some integer waiting time between 1 and 75, what is the average waiting time?"
Incidentally, the answer simplifies to
[eqn]\mathbb{E}\left[\min_{1 \leq i \leq n}\{X_i\}\right] = \sum_{j=0}^{k-1}\frac{(k-j)^n}{k^n}[/eqn]
>>
>>8493817
>for someone in your position

I'm a white male, so according to my university, I don't have to wait for anything.
>>
Your boyfriend is right because the average is a (Lebesgue) integral, better pepper that angus OP.

The waiting time is the minimum of 10 IID exponential random variables, so its survival function (1 - CDF) is the exponential survival function raised to the power of 10, see e.g. http://stats.stackexchange.com/questions/18438/does-a-univariate-random-variables-mean-always-equal-the-integral-of-its-quanti

Maybe you could get around it by disguising the integration as a Riemann sum + limiting process, but that's too much effort for a /sci/ post, especially when it's not my ass that's at stake here.
>>
About 6.4 minutes
>>
Just solve it numerically. Code up a simulation and get the average from that. No integrals necessary.
>>
File: 500k.png (41KB, 841x800px) Image search: [Google]
500k.png
41KB, 841x800px
>>8494108
500k simulations.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.