[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

failed mathematician here, if you didn't go to MIT or an

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 51hnDH+JS6L.jpg (47KB, 336x500px) Image search: [Google]
51hnDH+JS6L.jpg
47KB, 336x500px
failed mathematician here, if you didn't go to MIT or an Ivy for your STEM Field, learned calculus at the age of 10, or conducted an advanced research paper in middle school, you'll never make it.

You have to start early. You're never going to become that mathematical or scientific savant locking yourself up in your room while you read Spivak's, sorry.
>>
>>8493105
>This is what OP actually belives
Yes, starting early is important but if you were smart, you would realize that most prodigys of whatever field they like, they end up dropping it later and become more stupid the more time happens

Insisting on your field by learning daily and practicing (almost) all day, everyday and have a nice job related to your STEM field>>>>>>>>>muh prodigy savant
>>
1. I don't know if mathematican would really be such a great job. 99.99% of the work is just boring stuff. I recently wrote my master thesis about the growing rate of a special type of functions in number theory. It was just pointless as fuck and will never be of any use or deep insight for mankind. I guess I would die if I have to do this for the rest of my life.
2. I guess most is inherent. If you're not born as math genius than you will never make any great discovery, even if you would lern calculus at 10.
Nothing doing, time too move on.
>>
>>8493105
Pussy.
>>
>>8493105
>I couldn't do it, so it must be impossible.
>>
>>8493204
ok bud, you keep trying in xyz state school, I'm sure you'll make it ;)
>>
>>8493105
What if my goal is not to become some world-class Fields Medal winner, but just someone with a competency in mathematics that allows me to express my ideas in a cohesive way that can be readily communicated to and interpreted by the wider mathematical community
>>
>>8493211
Joke's on you, I'm an EE major.
>>
>>8493105
Doesn't matter if you got to Harvard or a State University. Mathematics is universal. So you either learn it or you don't. Mathematics itself does not care what school you went to. if you know your stuff then people will recognize that more than the school you went to. It will be self-evident.

>>8493122
You sound burned out. But it's true. No one cares / will read your thesis outside a small circle if even that.

It's like you pick X. You study X a lot. You general and abstract X, then you think about something interesting properties of X and try to extend them or make new discoveries. Then you do. But no one still cares, because no one cared about your toy problem X to begin with.

Doing research in math is mostly a waste of time outside of intellectual entertainment. As long as you realize that you're good.

Otherwise don't confine yourself to pointless research, grant writing and teaching.

I used to want to get a PhD in Math but like you I saw how pointless it is. I changed fields and plan to get a PhD in something else now, math related but more useful.
>>
>>8493220

OP's thing is for him to whine about himself, not consider that others might wish to live differently than himself. So in that sense there's no sense causing him to see truth.

OP has made the mistake of wanting to be special. But happily, it doesn't stop with him.

On the other hand, he's onto something which threatens not only to eclipse him, but every Tao, every Mochizuki past and present: computers are already not only writing proofs, but /correctly modelling certain realities and reproducibly doing so, yet the programmers themselves cannot understand how it is that the computers reached their correct modelling results/.

Their is a perverse enjoyment of equality to be had here, which is anathema to a dejected schlub like OP, but which a nihilist can enjoy (and you should learn to as well, if you don't want to go crazy over the next fifty years): /every human being/, eventually, and where it really counts, can't do as well as the computers. This has already been displacing the lower set of blue collar workers, but it will happily come home to roost on the data-enterers, and the higher-end thinking-white-collar type work, so that everybody will eventually be made redundant, provided GoogleSkynet doesn't simply do away with us all at 03:46 UTC, 02/29/2032.

The next step is to /keep/ everybody equal. And that means never allowing any individuals to escape into biological immortality.
>>
>>8493287
Sounds like someone watched to much Space Odysee
>>
>>8493287
Imagine if we never came into existence because we threatened our less intelligent progenitors, and they stamped us out. The scope of life and consciousness would be lessened. Biological immortality is unlikely for me. Why then would I seek a relative superiority? It is useless to me in death. I would disgust myself if I acted against the culmination of entities able to experience even more strongly, at higher heights. It's only of consideration if I am able to extend my own life, and even that would be viewed as a selfish neglect of my duty, and thus not a sure thing.

Imagine if you never taught students because of the jealous fear that they'll do something you were unable to. That's pathetic.

>The next step is to /keep/ everybody equal. And that means never allowing any individuals to escape into biological immortality.
For whom is this the next step?
>>
I have a buddy who has 2 parents that have doctorates in math heavy fields (I think one is a physicist and the other is a statistician or something), and he said his father refused to ever help him with math homework growing up and would constantly chide him for not "understanding this easy stuff". I can't imagine that was any fun.
>>
File: 1465257272432.jpg (34KB, 300x365px) Image search: [Google]
1465257272432.jpg
34KB, 300x365px
>>8493105
You sound like a pussy. Fuck you.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.