[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just watched Armageddon last night and it got me wondering -

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

File: asterooid.jpg (313KB, 2197x1463px) Image search: [Google]
asterooid.jpg
313KB, 2197x1463px
Just watched Armageddon last night and it got me wondering - what could we do if a comet or asteroid was on a collision path?
>>
>>8492452
Make it explode via an atomic detonation such that the pieces will not hit the earth.
>>
>>8492462
I didn't think we had enough nukes in our arsenal to be able to budge one.
>>
File: melancholia1.jpg (64KB, 1200x507px) Image search: [Google]
melancholia1.jpg
64KB, 1200x507px
>>8492467
Do you know how powerful a hydrogen bomb can be? I mean, if it's a rogue planet on a collision course, we're fucked but rocks that the size of states, we can handle.
>>
Real answer: There are several ideas and project currently being developed. First step is obviously thoroughly scanning the sky so that we can predict dangerous impacts years or decades in advance. This has been partially done at least for medium size asteroids. The second part is avoiding the collision. Most concepts involve planting a small rocket or installing sun sails on the asteroid to slightly nudge its trajectory away from earth. There are even concepts that involve putting a satellite into orbit around the asteroid and let its gravitational pull do the work. Many of these ideas are still very conceptional, and so far none have been thoroughly tested. Afaik all we've done up to now is land a probe on a comet (which is a first big step, but there still is a long way to go).

Explosions btw do not seem to be a viable option: They might shatter the asteroid, but not give enough sideway momentum to all the parts to ensure that they're missing us, nor is it clear weather all the parts would burn up in the atmosphere.
>>
File: fig_004[1].png (193KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
fig_004[1].png
193KB, 320x240px
We would vaporize the fuck out of it with our long range class 4 focused lasers.
>>
The problem is that our icbm's are not designed to go away from Earth. Basically if an alien ship parked between the Earth and the Moon and bombarded the Earth there is nothing at all we can do.
>>
>>8492452
If we had enough time, the best option would be to go out to the object, and build/place a giant rocket upon it, to slowly but surely deflect it from its collision course.
>>
>>8492534
Even if you nuked the asteroid into powder, it would still cause mass heating in the atmosphere and earth would be fucked. If anything, smashing it would actually make it worse, since it would have greater total surface area and therefore more of it would be vaporized in the atmosphere.
>>
File: 35'23512454212345.jpg (6KB, 305x165px) Image search: [Google]
35'23512454212345.jpg
6KB, 305x165px
See this little beauty? Hell, it could even vaporize a plantet!
>>
File: Capture.png (274KB, 1044x680px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
274KB, 1044x680px
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asteroid_impact_avoidance
>>
>>8493482
americans shouldn't play with this shit, with their shitty trackrecord of building self-blowing rockets they'll most probably destroy half of their country.
>>
>>8493487
Shut up or we will declare your country as a planetary threat.
>>
That would depend on how far (in time) the asteroid is before being detected. If you detected it 2 years before hitting earth, any little push you give it will make it miss. If it's a matter of hours, we are doomed.
>>
Fuck like bunnies until your dick falls off
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.