[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Consider three circles of radius 1 placed at the corners of an

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: bounce.png (19KB, 386x379px) Image search: [Google]
bounce.png
19KB, 386x379px
Consider three circles of radius 1 placed at the corners of an equilateral triangle with side length 6 and shoot a ray from the centroid of the triangle. Given the ray reflects in usual way how can I determine an initial direction that traps the ray?

After this I would hope to generalize it to a ray shot from a general position and more general convex bodies.
>>
I don't know.
>>
>>8491081
There exists multiple trapped rays.
Have it approach the line of shortest distance in the limit.
>>
File: NewtonMenge256Grell[1].png (35KB, 796x597px) Image search: [Google]
NewtonMenge256Grell[1].png
35KB, 796x597px
>>8490627
I don't think it would be possible to actuall define a function which takes the degree of the laser and says you where the beam would end up. This construct would have a very chaotic behaviour so I guess you illustrate the soultions you would end up with some kind of fractal. The only possible way I see is to calculate the path for every single degree with simple geometry.
>>
>>8491701
There is a pattern of course to number of reflections.
Is it impossible to actually determine the angle that will result in ray becoming parallel to triangle side and trapped in limit?

https://mathoverflow.net/questions/38307/trapped-rays-bouncing-between-two-convex-bodies
They exist but I'm curious if you can actually determine them, at least in simple case.
>>
>>8491714
>tfw can't understand proof
>>
>>8491701
What's that image?
>>
>>8493738
>What is google image search
It' a Newton fractal. It'S a visualisation of the convergence properties of newton's method.
>>
There are no paths that trap the ray. At least starting from the center. If a ray is trapped indefinitely it'd have to retrace its path at one point. Any way you shoot from the center that reflects off the circles there's a path in the opposite direction that misses them all and goes off to infinity.

The only trapped paths are the trivial ones: starting from the edge of a circle and aiming to the middle edge of the circle in between. The starting path has to following the line created by connecting the center of the starting circle to the reflection point of the middle/reflecting circle.
>>
>>8498123
See
https://mathoverflow.net/questions/38307/trapped-rays-bouncing-between-two-convex-bodies
>>
>>8498137
Yeah but they're wrong. There are paths that have a long lifetime but if a ray is "trapped", indefinitely, it has to retrace its path.

If there is an infinitesimal change in angle from a trivial parallel path solution in an attempt to reverse engineer another path solution that "approaches" the parallel solution, it would only work up to that infinitesimal, and then proceed to reflect in the opposite direction at the starting infinitesimal angle, diverging again.

The only unique paths are the trivial ones. Between two circles, the path tracing a triangle between the circles, and the obtuse angle shape I mentioned before.

Infinity and infinitesimals are not real.
>>
>>8498206
Go away Zeno.
>>
>>8498206
>Infinity and infinitesimals are not real.
Math isn't real.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.