[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help me /sci/ I want to build an electric generator but have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: maxresdefault.jpg (81KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
81KB, 1280x720px
Help me /sci/

I want to build an electric generator but have Nickie where to start. And any tutorial I look up yields a small generator. I want to be able to at least power 2 devices at once. And I'd like it to be human powered.

Where do I start? Do I need a permanent magnet?
>>
>>8490380
*no idea
>>
What kind of devices are you talking about powering?

Motors and generators are the same materials, so if you had a way to spin the shaft, you can use the electricity produced. So youll need a motor.

Then you are going to need to create a power supply to give your devices a nice smooth and constant voltage. You may need a way to convert to dc depending on your loads. /Diy/ has lots about this stuff
>>
>>8490401

Maybe a TV and a phone charger.
And not bring rude, but:
doesn't that defeat the purpose making the generator, if I could provide an external power source, why make power?
Is there a way to do it otherwise? I'll ask dyi but I figured I'd ask /sci/ because, you know, science
>>
>>8490401
Or did you mean turn the made electricity into a smooth voltage ?
>>
>>8490380
who's Nickie?
>>
>>8490380
start with something like this
work you way up to something similar with kids bike parts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osZ49tzKmks
>>
>>8490404
>TV and a phone charger
A healthy average cyclist can generate about 40 watts for an hour or two.
>>
>>8490404
Dude, you need an external DC source in order to build a DC Motor. In a motor the DC power would feed the rotation.
To build a generator you dont need the DC source because the flow of power is in the other way: the movement of the rotor will generate a DC voltage.

Conect a battery > the coil spin
Spin the coil by yourself > a DC voltage will arise
>>
>>8490404
You dont connect a live, powered motor to anything. What I'm saying is that if you were to find a way to spin a motor's shaft (ie hooking it up to a turbine or something) then it would act as a generator! They are the same parts, just with the opposite application.
>>
File: ac_motor_fig8.gif (12KB, 470x250px) Image search: [Google]
ac_motor_fig8.gif
12KB, 470x250px
>>8490401
>Motors and generators are the same materials

Not always. Some motors use electromagnets instead of permanent ones. A lot of household appliances like fans and washing machines are this type. You can't use them as generators because you need power for the electromagnets before you can get power.
>>
>>8491267
Are you kidding? Most guides on homemade generators are all from washing machines. They are the best. Ever hook up your test leads on the motor connections and spin the shaft?
>>
>>8490380
>Do I need a permanent magnet?
yes. start with the simplest design possible, the one shown in your OP picture. build it and measure the voltage between the ends of the rotating wire. you can find the expected amount everywhere on the web. then you can start improving your circuit.(e.g. more commutators, more coil turns, stronger magnet)

building a simple circuit like in OPs picture is not hard
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.